St. John Passion Villa, Aria or Orion's Hill

Travel discussion for St. John
nothintolose

St. John Passion Villa, Aria or Orion's Hill

Post by nothintolose »

Okay, we have decided to go back next June and are trying to decide between three villas (unless someone comes up with a better suggestion for two couples who want a/c and a pool - hot tub is ok but not necessary and under $2500). The choices are St. John Passion, Aria and Orion's Hill.

I understand that St. John Passion is in Rendevous while the other two are closer to Coral Bay.

Just want to know if anyone has any input. Aria had a few reviews but I can use all the inuput available.

Also, St. John Passion is listed with Viva! Villas, Inc. and Island Hideaways. Does anyone have any experience with either of these rental companies? Are they on the island?

Thanks in advance,
nothintolose
seastar

Post by seastar »

I cannot help you with the villas you mentioned because I haven't seen any of them, but we rented from VIVA (yes, they have their own office on the island) and they were great to deal with, especially Sherrolyn.
If you list her your requirements for a villa, she can help you in finding the right one.

We were completely satisfied with their service and we have rented with them for next december, as well.
Ken

Post by Ken »

We stayed in Aria a little over a year ago. It was a very nice place in what I would consider one of the best locations on the island. It is located right near the smoothie stand where Centerline and the North Shore roads intersect. About a 5 minute drive to Maho, 20 minutes to Cruz Bay, and about 10 minutes to Coral Bay. You can hit the north shore if those beaches are calm, or you can get to the south shore beaches in short order if north shore is rough.

There are a few pictures that include Aria from my trip here:

http://www.pbase.com/rcplanefan/st_john_2005

Any specific questions I can answer?

Ken
isla_jen

Post by isla_jen »

Ken-

I'm guessing that you weren't the one to do this, but seeing your pictures I was reminded of how connected St. John fans are.

I have a page ripped out of a scrapbook magazine of a beautiful layout with one of your pictures-Jennifer at Mahoe. I was so excited to see a St. John page and it was so beautiful too. Please pass the word on. :D

~Jen
Ken

Post by Ken »

Actually, Jennifer is my wife and is a contributor to many scrapbook magazines. I'm glad you enjoyed her layout! I'll let her know.

Ken
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Thanks for the input. Does anyone know about Orion's Hill or St. John Passion or the area?

Ken - your pictures are actually why I looked at Aria in the first place.

nothintolose
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Hey girl.......I don't have any villa advice, I just wanted to say how happy I am that you're going back! :D :D :D

I know you spent a little time on Gift Hill, have you checked out Palm Villa? It's great for 2 couples and everything is on one level. We've stayed there twice now and the website pics don't do it justice. Just a thought.

Happy Planning!!

Jan (aka Charlie)
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

It WAS one we had looked at didn't post about it because you left an awesome review of it and also because I know the views and the area from being at Cloud 9 while friends were staying there.

Also, it's a little on the high side for what we are wanting to pay. Palm Villa is still on our list though.

nothintlose
mark & susan

Aria Villa

Post by mark & susan »

We also stayed in Aria but likely would not return. As we have posted in a trip report we loved the location and will stay in that area in future trips. The villa would get a solid B, but no more. The furniture in the living room is really fairly uncomfortable, if you plan on spending any real time in the villa reading or whatever you will soon tire of the rattan love seat at the main furniture choice.

The villa also, while providing great CO privacy is becomming overgrown by the "jungle" to the point that the pool area is sowmehat limited in sunlight. Additionally the hot tub is quite small, big enough for 2 but placed in a location where you really don't feel like using. (perhaps it is beacuse we happen to have a large HT at home that this one looked so small).

While in STJ we also looked(and actually visited)villa's for returning as a couple in high season and larger villa's for a family trip in the summer. While we limited ourselves to the same general area as Aria, to include Coral Bay proper, we found a great option for 2 was Bayview. We are booked there for Feb. It has the same location, actually easier access, CO, and is furnished better with a less limited view.

Have fun. Mark and Susan
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Thanks Mark and Susan for your info. I do remember reading your review - especially the part about the uncomfortable furniture and the "jungle".

I think we have narrowed it down to Orion's Hill and St. John Passion but I am still trying to figure alot of things out about both villas.

Has anyone ever seen either of them? Does anyone know if the location is good in relation to other villas and/or the road?

Thanks,
nothintolose
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Orion's Hill looks like the nicest house of the 3, and I'm sure you'd enjoy any of them. However, and maybe its just because I'm from a landlocked state, but I prefer houses that are a little closer to the water. You might also take a look at Beit Hawa (through Catered To), Sea Stone (VIVA),Calypso by the Sea (beachfront in Coral Bay---through Caribbean Villas),Cliffside (Caribbean Villas), Miramar (also Caribbean Villas), all within your price range, except Sea Stone, which is slightly more.
---Jim
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Thanks Iowa guy - I checked them out and have added some to our list. Being close to the water is not an issue with us, we just want a view of it. We are definitely not landlocked here so we don't need to be right by it.

As people that keep their houses on about 70 to 72 degrees during the summer; we want a/c so some of them were not possibilities.

Thanks for all of the suggestions AND for adding to my confusion :? :) :D

nothintolose

By the way Sea Stone is beautiful but I don't know that I want to do battle with the iguanas :lol:
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Sure, nothintolose. After I posted my thoughts, I realized that some of my suggested villas didn't have a/c. Although the a/c--natural breeze battle is a source of controversy on this forum, I know that I would want a/c in June as well.I noticed there are pictures of Orion's Hill on three different sites---Caribbean Villa, VIVA, and Book-it VI. The shots of Orion's Hill on Book-It VI really looked great. Its always nice to have a brand new villa in a hot climate.
---Jim
toni

Post by toni »

I can't give you first hand knowledge yet, but we've booked St. John Passion for a week in December and will definitely write a review when we come back. I thought the view was spectacular in the pictures-we've stayed in Cruz Bay, Concordia and Calabash Boom area before and wanted to try this area for a different view. If you log on to google earth you can get a nice (grainy) picture of the island if that helps and can really focus in on the areas you're inquiring about.

I've been dealing with Sherrolyn at VIVA and she's been quite helpful. I asked about the layout and here's what she said:

you go down the stairs and walk into the open air lanai living room (no way to lock this up). The garden bedrooms are to your left and the kitchen to the right. The garden bedrooms both have doors that open out to the upstairs spa deck. The lower bedroom opens up to the lower deck where the pool is located. All the bedrooms and the kitchen have sliding glass doors that open to the outside deck and can be locked. There's also a safe.

In response to my privacy inquiry she mentioned that Blue Heaven Rendezvous is next door and there's no one looking down from above, but there are other houses on the street.

She mentioned that they do greeters at the dock, and have mid week maid service as well.

Hope this helps!

Toni
MLS

Post by MLS »

If view is most important to you, Orion's Hill is higher and has a view into the north side of the island too. That's special! Can't comment on whether AC is needed, but these Ajax Mtn locations are generally among the coolest on the island.