Some Panoramas! - Download Update

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

Some Panoramas! - Download Update

Post by California Girl »

Ok, so I'm still messin' around with my photos and tonight I worked on some panoramas. The originals are so huge that you can zoom in on the most incredible detail, like St. John Spice and the people in line at immigration in the Cruz Bay picture, for instance. The original Coral Bay/Cocoloba panorama is 10886 x 2231! Anyway, I hope you enjoy these views of some spectacular scenery! :D

Cruz Bay

Coral Bay from Bayview Villa

Coral Bay/Cocoloba Plaza

Waterlemon Cay/Leinster Bay

Trunk Bay
Last edited by California Girl on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Holy crap! C-girl, these are beautiful, really. I see you have a few of these on your public photo's, would you have these available to download in the FULL sizes? I would love to use them as desktop wallpapers. I especially like the Coral Bay from Bayview Villa pic and Coral Bay/Cocoloba Plaza pic.

What camera did you use for these? Just wondering... cause I have an "old" Kodak Advantix camera, model 4100ix and it takes panorama's. It's really neat, but can never remember to bring it with me anywhere when I travel :?

Thanks for sharing, I love lookin at others pictures. :)
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

those are all great but that view of Coral Bay ... wow, that's a killer! nice work!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

WOW! Great pictures!
I am still trying to figure out how to merge some of my pictures to do this.
mia

Post by mia »

Great pix CG...love the splashes of turquoise in the distance of the Waterlemon Cay shot.
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
RickG

Post by RickG »

me-too, can you provide a site for the full size images? What camera?

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

You've done it again. Great shots. I don't wnat them as wallpaper - I want to be there. Thanks for posting.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I have never been able to stitch that seamlessly. My experience is that the auto-exposure settings change enough as you turn the camera relative to the sun that it is noticeable from one section to another. What camera and software did you use?
California Girl

Wow, thanks everyone! I didn't expect such a great response!

I took two and Rick took two. I have a Canon 400D and he has a Canon Rebel 350D. I took the Waterlemon and Coral Bay from Bayview ones, and he took the Cruz Bay and Cocoloba ones. Most of the photos are a composite of 3 to 4 different shots and "stitched' together with the Photo Stitch software that came with our cameras (sorry Mary Beth, I still can't find the disc!).

I worked for literally hours in Photoshop to remove the lines you mention Steve. It was not easy, but worth the work.

Dave-A-Roni, I used to have an Advantix, too, and I swore I'd never get another camera I loved it so much. But then digital came along.

Unfortunately I don't have enough server space to upload the originals so you can download them, the sizes are as follows:

Cocoloba - 10886 x 2231 (7.20MB)
Coral Bay - 5339 x 1660 (4.38MB)
Waterlemon - 5927 x 1681 (6.17MB)
Cruz Bay - 8064 x 2173 (10.2MB)
Trunk Bay (which I re-did and it's better now) - 5208 x 1580 (5.32MB)

However, if you want me to burn them to a CD for you I'd be happy to do so. :)

Rick, if you know a way other than this, please let me know! :D
jmq

Post by jmq »

The Photostitch software that comes with Canon cameras works pretty seamlessly most of the time for me without extra work (I wouldn’t know how to “blend” the seams out if I had to).

And as for exposure question, when you choose the panoramic setting on the Canon camera when taking the shots, the exposure from the first shot as you begin the panning series of shots is locked in for the entire series.

Its fun to use for cityscapes as well as landscapes.
Some examples:

JMQ
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

CA Girl those are wonderful! Thanks for sharing. Oh how I long to be there again very soon 8)
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Girl those are some awesome pics. My Cannon IS2 came with that photostitch software but I've always been to lazy to try it, you've convinced me to give it a try.
cirruskye

Post by cirruskye »

Holy COW!!!! those are some beeyootiful pixs.
thank you for sharing. It makes me want to be there more!!

cherie
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Amazing photos!! I leave one week from today. This gets me even more in the mood. (If that's possible)
California Girl

JMQ: My camera (the 400D) doesn't have the panoramic setting. If I'd only bought the next camera up... [sigh!]

And I don't think Rick's learned how to use his panorama setting yet... STJ was pretty much the maiden voyage of his new Canon 350D.