Restaurants at Christmas

Travel discussion for St. John
Berkfamily

Restaurants at Christmas

Post by Berkfamily »

Does anyone know whether restaurants tend to be open Christmas Eve/Day on St. John? Also, I presume reservations should be made now, or am I too late already!
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

It's early to know what restaurants will be open during the holidays and a lot of them are closed now. Once they reopen in October, you should call and inquire.
Reservations for Christmas week are a Very Good Idea. I doubt if it's too late, but it is wise.
One note about Christmas week reservations: Several restaurants take a credit card number for this week only when making reservations and charge a "no show" fee if you don't show up.
The reason for this is that for many years in a row, there has been a large group (or groups, but I have a feeling it's one unit) that call three or four restaurants for each night of the week and make a reservation for a large party (8-12 people or more) under a different name. Then, each night, they pick the restaurant at which they choose to dine and "no show" at the others. No call or anything, they just don't show up and the other restaurants are holding their tables and honoring their reservation and turning other people away during the busiest week of the year. Some of these restaurants are pretty small, so it has a big effect.
Hard to believe, I know. Especially since it's such a small island, one wonders how they think the restaurant owners wouldn't catch on. I mean, these folks all talk to each other!
If a restaurant says they need a credit card for the reservation (and many don't) you can still change your mind. Ask them how many hours you have to cancel before the reservation. They are not unreasonable about it.
Bottom line, they're not trying to rob you or anything, they're just trying to get this situation under control. I hope that a few years of this will make the people doing this quit feeling so entitled!
-Ruth
Berkfamily

Post by Berkfamily »

Ruth,

Thanks so much for the information. I will be sure to check your list of restaurant closings and call the ones that are open now, followed by the rest when they reopen. What are your favorites? We 're a family of 5 and my eldest is a vegetarian...no meat or fish. As for credit cards..we're used to that for hot ticket restaurants around here, so its not a problem. I totally understand about the problems it causes when large parties don't show up during the busiest time of the year. We'd love to be able to travel during non-holiday times, but with 2 in college and 1 still in HS it just isn't in the cards for awhile. Thanks again.

Leslie