Hitchhikers

Travel discussion for St. John
patr

Hitchhikers

Post by patr »

Have you ever picked up a hitchhiker while driving around the island?

We see the local folks do it all the time.

We were driving up the hill by the school when we passed one, then had to stop for construction and he jumped in the car! Image

I was kind of freaking out, but my husband was like, "no big deal, you have to do what the locals do" I think they know who and what they're dealing with, whereas being unfamiliar we do not.

We would NEVER pick up anyone here at home.

I was just wondering what other vacationers think and do on the subject. It's kind of an ongoing argument between the two of us.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

Oh yes, we have. I think it's considered rude not to pick someone up on St John as long as you have room in your car. We've had interesting conversations with some of the people we've given rides to.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks for the heads-up...I used to hitchhike quite a bit back in the 70's, so I know what its like needing a ride. :)
Coden
RickG

Post by RickG »

We picked up a hitchhiker in Coral Bay one time. He turned out to be a bartender at Island Blues and bought us a drink later that week.
madness

Post by madness »

We always pick up hitchhikers done there. We ask them questions we forgot to check out on the forums!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We used to pick people up, but we couldn't shake off the ingrained instinct that picking up hitchikers was wrong. Everyone we picked up was friendly, and I know it's a custom to hitchhike, but we don't pick people up anymore.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

liamsaunt wrote:We used to pick people up, but we couldn't shake off the ingrained instinct that picking up hitchikers was wrong.
I'm the same way...never pick 'em up at home. The island may be different, but with my luck (Murphy rides in my back seat, ya' know!) I'd be picking up the guys that hit that tourist in the head with a shovel! LOL! I think it'll have to be a split second decision at the time I see someone in need of a ride.
rkurpiers

Post by rkurpiers »

This person mistakenly thought you were stopping to pick them up, not realizing you were just stopping for construction traffic. Awkward situation since they're already in your car.

St. John is a small place so after awhile everyone's face becomes familiar even if you don't know them personally. Growing up on St. Thomas I hitched rides everywhere until I was able to purchase a car when I turned 19. Since I basically hitched the same roads day in and day out people recognized me enough to feel comfortable giving me a ride. Of course those that knew me personally always stopped to give me a ride.

On trips back to the V.I. I am known to give a person a ride now and again. But for the most part I'm just as wary there as I am here in Florida where I NEVER give someone I don't know a ride.

Richard N. Kurpiers
JT

Post by JT »

We pretty much always pick up hitchhikers on STJ. Never had even a remotely bad experience, however two years ago a couple of guys hitched a ride from Coral Bay, going to Cruz Bay, got picked up by some guys in a pickup truck, got half way there and and they stopped the truck and beat the guys half to death with baseball bats. Not the norm on STJ, but stuff happens, even there.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
2catlimit

Post by 2catlimit »

We often pick up hitchhikers in St John (but not at home). They usually don't use the familiar thumb out gesture, but instead point in the direction they want to go. Everyone has always seemed to appreciate the ride and has been very nice. We've heard that the bus service is not consistent and people often get sort of stranded.
I feel like it's an opportunity to bridge that gap between locals and tourists and create a little more positive impression. We had one guy assume we lived on the island. When we told him we didn't, he said, "Wow. Cool. Tourists don't usually stop for people."
We try to use common sense, though. For the most part, I wouldn't pick up more than one guy at a time. I may not pick up someone if I was alone, etc.
You are also not required to deliver someone to their door. You can tell them how far and which way you're going and figure out where you can drop them off. Everyone so far has been appreciative of any walking they were spared. We've met all kinds of people this way, a young couple working at Maho Bay Camps, a young local Rasta guy, a couple of construction workers, a young boy who had recently moved down with his dad and loved to swim at the Westin(three times we picked him up), a bartender from St. Thomas who got stuck in Coral Bay and needed to get to the ferry, and a beautiful, dignified island lady who thanked us and told us "It seems like the more it rains, the hotter it gets."
It's been some good experiences but always go with your instincts.
Kathy Henion