New Grande Bay photo

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

New Grande Bay photo

Post by Anthony »

I have a newer photo (from August) of the Grande Bay Project on the Coconut Teleraph:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/c ... telegraph/
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
iowaguy

Grande Bay

Post by iowaguy »

I know its popular to bash this development, but I actually think it looks very nice---I wish I had bought a unit when the development was first proposed.
---Jim
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Yeah, it looks really nice, sort of like Cancun, or Miami, or Puerto Rico........nuff said.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

CariBert wrote:Yeah, it looks really nice, sort of like Cancun, or Miami, or Puerto Rico
I hear you Bert. The best thing about the whole project to me (and I mean this as the least of evils kind of thing - not that it is a good thing) is that it is in town. I can't see how you can stop progress on St. John or anywhere - the Rockefellers didn't own enough of the island to stop it - but I am much more concerned about projects in the hills and near the park (or in the park!). Anyway - I am not trying to defend it - just saying that it probably could have been worse.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

I couldn't have said it better, Anthony! Well said!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

It is what it is and it isn't going away. I wish they'd just be done already!
I spoke to someone on the crew today and the word is there is a unit that is "nearly finished."
I'll be happy when we get the Bay Road back and when they finally get the run-off into Cruz Bay under control. The road is never closed for long (a few minutes, maybe), but where they are working now (the building closest to the road) there is no other place for the machines to manoeuver except the road. They are managing it pretty well, but inevitably there are times when it's just easier to back up, u-turn and go around the back way behind the Lime Inn. Easy enough if you know the area, not so clear if you're a visitor.
They will be lovely when they're done. Hopefully soon.
-Ruth
STJ_gal

Post by STJ_gal »

I'm sorry, but I cringe every time I am on the ferry and I see Grande Bay. It is a monstrosity and does not belong in Cruz Bay. Just wait till the new "owners" show up. St John will never be the same.

My opinion - and yes, it could be worse, but it doesn't mean it's still not bad.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

STJ_gal wrote:Just wait till the new "owners" show up.
Ah - I admit to not having thought about that part of the equation yet... :(