Islanders - "How Did You Get Here?"

Travel discussion for St. John
StJohnRuth

Islanders - "How Did You Get Here?"

Post by StJohnRuth »

People ask this question all the time. Sometimes we say "In an airplane" but I think what they really want is The Story.
Here's our story. I'd tell it myself, but Bob Tis did such a good job when he was writing for the Tradewinds, I just let him do it.
Bob now writes for the St. John Sun Times.

www.stjohnspice.com/ourstory.htm

-Ruth
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Cool story! Thanks for posting the link to it.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Great story Ruth! We'll be right there with you and Ron as soon as I hit the right 6 numbers........(one of them being the power ball)!
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Thank you, Ruth! I suppose your story is every visitors dream....and it came true for you!
StJohnRuth

Power Ball

Post by StJohnRuth »

CariBert wrote:Great story Ruth! We'll be right there with you and Ron as soon as I hit the right 6 numbers........(one of them being the power ball)!
Actually, winning the lottery was our original plan as well, but it was taking too long!
patr

Post by patr »

Thanks Ruth for sharing your story. I would love to hear from others that relocated to the island. That is a dream of ours.

We read "Desiring Paradise" last year while we were down there. I felt like it was a huge dose of reality and somewhat discouraging to others thinking about relocating. BUT my husband was inspired and thought we should make a go at it. This is funny because normally he is the pessimist and I am the optimistic one.

I think if we had jobs that we could do from our homes (like two of our technology-age kids), we may have already tried. But alas we are 9 - 5ers. He works for corporate America and I work for a local government agency. With the high cost of living, I just don't think we could make it. We have raised and educated three children and they are all independent and we have some savings for retirement, but not nearly enough to afford island housing.

I sure do envy you folks that did it though.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
RonUSVI

How did I?

Post by RonUSVI »

The old fashioned way. I was born here!LOL 8)
RL 8)
gizmolady

Post by gizmolady »

Now, the couple explains, it’s someone else’s turn to get a new start on Shoes Without Socks.

OK, hubby and I volunteer to be the next ones to get a new start there!!!!

:lol:
Eric on St John

Post by Eric on St John »

Wah? Ronnnie? You're not going to give us more details than that?

Well, I guess it is a family forum!<g>
Eric on St John
FlaSteph

Post by FlaSteph »

Great story Ruth!! Thanks for sharing! :wink:
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

Love the story Ruth! What an adventure it all must have been and hopefully still is.

SarahD
Rhumboogie

Post by Rhumboogie »

Great story ! I think I remember you. But that was 1000's of gallons of rum ago so my mind is alittle foggy. where you anchored at? I loved Grumpy's it was a Damn shame that it burned down. Well have a great weekend. Rhumboogie
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;what is essential is invisible to the eye"-Antoine de St. Exupery
Genral

Post by Genral »

Excellent story Ruth! And thanks for the mention of Grumpy's. We were there on our first visit and then the next time, it was gone. Since then, nobody we talked to remembered it - I thought we'd had a group hallucination... Grumpy's, almost by the sea, 1000 miles from self importance, where hurricanes and hangovers make the only difference. What a great place!!!! Genral PS To those thinking about island living - it's not quite as nice, but pricewise, STX is looking alot easier (read cheaper)for retirement.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

We still have an old Grumpty's t-shirt. And we first met Ruth and Ron when they were our new neighbors in MA, one day years ago, when we were walking by their house and noticed Ron wearing a Grumpy's shirt.

My husband liked that place a little better than I did, though!
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

MA - That was MY Grumpy's shirt, and he STILL won't give it back!
I was working at the Lime Inn the night that Grumpy's burned. It was a very sad night.