Two RUDE questions

Travel discussion for St. John
NoWorriesMom

Two RUDE questions

Post by NoWorriesMom »

What does one do on a beach that has no facilities if you find that you (or most likely the children!) need desperately to "use the facilities"? :? And yes I know that fish wizz in the sea but what about......

Also, finding an affordable and vacation-like place to stay (which to me means NOT a tent :wink: ) has been very difficult! To cover the bases I'm thinking next year to book in at someplace very inexpensive and then shop around up until the last possible (refundable) cancellation date. Is that rude or wrong to do? Of course we would cancel as early as possible so a place could be re-rented, but wouldn't want to do this if it isn't an ok/nice thing to do? What's your opinion? Thanks!!
chattycat

Post by chattycat »

As far as reservations...you have year so why not start now and see what you can find. I personally wouldn't make a reservation at a place unless I was actually planning on staying there.

As far as the other....I guess you have two choices. Drive somewhere and ask to use the bathroom. OR if it was that urgent find a private spot and go....just bring a plastic bag with you if necessary. :shock:

Good Luck!!! :)
hawksnestbay

Check the current...

Post by hawksnestbay »

and swim fast. That IS how the Parrot Fish build the reefs. :)
RickG

Post by RickG »

I go with young kids and (sometimes more problematic) grand parents to St. John. Most car accessible North Shore beaches, except Jumbie Bay and Maho Bay, have some faclilities. On the South Shore, Salt Pond and Little Lameshure Bay have pit toilets. Check out www.stjohnbeachguide.com.

Reservations? I occasionally see 10% off type deals for last minute travel. I don't think it is something that you can count on. Going in the off-season is the most economical approach.

Cheers, RickG
peterb

Post by peterb »

Don't be too quick to poo poo the idea of an eco-tent at Concordia or Maho...they are more like cabins than tents.

The studios at Concordia were quite reasonable as well and have all the modern amenities if the thought of sleeping inder an cloth roof is really too much for you.
Keep your lens clean and your mind open
Amy

Re: Two rude questions

Post by Amy »

I second peterb's suggestion of Maho or Concordia, and if you aren't much of a camper and don't mind being farther away from the "action," I think you'd prefer Concordia. We just spent 6 nights at Maho and 2 at Concordia in August, and while we've done both villa and camping vacations, I would not hesitate to return to Concordia. Loved the beautiful views, and the cabins had private toilets, solar showers and electric refrigerators, so they had more amenities than Maho. Oh, and WAY fewer bugs, due to the constant breezes! The off-season rate for double occupancy was $95/night, a great deal.
NoWorriesMom

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Hi! I really didn't mean anything against Maho or Concordia, I promise! They were actually on the list of considerations. Just decided not to go that way because we camp a lot here in Colorado and I would like a change up for STJ. As luck would have it, we found a great villa being offered at a fraction of its listed rental price because it had our exact timeframe unrented and those dates were between fully rented times. So the owner was willing to rent LOW. Yippee we can walk to a beach and are SO excited!! Thanks to everyone who helped while I lurked and thanks also to those who answered my sometimes wacky questions ! We won't be having a wild nekkid trip, like Jorge, and we hopefully won't be crashing any dinghys, like chrisn, but we will be having a BLAST thanks to all the good info on this forum!