Grootpan and Kiddel Bays - Nekkid Time?

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Grootpan and Kiddel Bays - Nekkid Time?

Post by RickG »

I've heard from a few folks that the secluded Grootpan and Kiddel Bays on St. John are outside of the National Park and do not get patrolled. This makes them a place where you can work on tan lines without getting that ticket. Anyone have any experiences with this? I know that villa Sea Spirit is on the point between the two bays, and that's about it.

Cheers, RickG
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Hmmm... We've rented Sea Spirit for next May. Perhaps I'll have to bring some binoculars! :mrgreen:
FlaSteph

Post by FlaSteph »

Wait til Jorge hears about this!! :lol:
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

I think that the walk or swim out there and back would pretty much ruin your "no tan lines" look anyway. Best stick to your villa deck I think.
Jennifer

JT

Post by JT »

I've been to both several times, rarely seeing anyone else, though there are a couple of villas bordering Kiddle. Bugs can be a problem on both beaches, the drive into Grootpan will almost certainly scratch up your rental vehicle, both beaches are rocky with no sand. Grootpan is also an important turtle egg area, so be eco-friendly.If you can freedive while snorkling there is some great stuff in Grootpan, though I've seen the island's worst jellyfish there in June. Enjoy!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Thanks for the tips. We get our Nekkid Time at the villa, but we have Grandparents and kids on this trip...

I'm going to save these spots for a later visit. Sea Spirit is an intriguing villa for a couple that I would like to try sometime.

Cheers, RickG
CarolJLF

Post by CarolJLF »

We have rented Sea Spirit for 5 years now and are booked in to be there again in March, as we LOVE the secluded and private location. We have been to both Grootpan and Kiddle many times, but have never seen anyone sunbathing in the nude. They really aren't great beaches for sunbathing, as there is no sand at either one of them - they are both rocky pebble beaches. Great for snorkeling, but not sunbathing.
Carol