Lunch in St Thomas on day of departure

Travel discussion for St. John
sunlover

Lunch in St Thomas on day of departure

Post by sunlover »

Our flight doesn't leave until 3:50, so we were thinking of having lunch somewhere in St. Thomas on our day of departure. Any suggestions? It will be a Saturday in November, so I suspect any place we try will be pretty crowded. We were also thinking about checking out the 100 steps, so anything nearby would be a plus.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Cuzzins as mentioned or Gladys
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I haven't eaten there (Gladys') but my whole family (14 or so) did the day they left, and they loved the food.

nothintolose
Deb58

Post by Deb58 »

Yes...Glady's is a good choice....we stopped in there after a morning of shopping in St. Thomas. The food was very good....plus we had some of the BEST mango daiquiris....(I still remember, and that was back in 2003 :wink:
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We liked Cuzzins but the portions are huge! You might want to split stuff if you eat there. I remember really liking their vegetable plate. John had the kingfish.

For something completely different right by the 100 steps, I remember we liked a lunch at Herve. We were sweating buckets and they still welcomed us nicely. I think we just ate cold soup (and cold wine!).
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

The Greenhouse is another option. If you have a rental car, be careful where you park. Read the signs/feed the meter because they ticket often.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

I vote for Glady's too. This is the "Real Deal" Caribbean food. Try her Lemon Conch - this is to die for. A word of warning - her "Hot Sauce" can be real hot. I love the stuff and always bring 2 or 3 bottles back.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Pia

Post by Pia »

Glady's :D :D :D
FlaSteph

Post by FlaSteph »

I also vote for Gladys'.....plus if Gladys is there she will have everyone singing Tina Turner with her... :wink:
Fun place, great food, and I agree that the mango daiquiri's are "Simply the Best" (no pun intended :lol: )
Enjoy!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Another vote for Gladys'! Loved it there. Great food, great ambience! Gladys wasn't there when we had lunch, so I didn't get to hear any Tina Turner songs, but it was still nice, all the same :D
Pat

Another question, if you please

Post by Pat »

The idea of lunch in STT before the flight home has always been appealing to our group, but what do you do with your luggage? Is there room around a table for the bags, etc? Once upon a time you could leave your luggage with your taxi driver who would store it until he came back to get you for the ride to the airport. With security issues, it's not a good idea to leave bags unattended. We also found lugging our "stuff" around the shops was a big pain. How do all of you manage? Thanks :lol:
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

we leave our luggage with the taxi driver. It is safe and is not left unattended. The driver looks after you luggage and when he says he's going to be back at 1.00 pm to pick you up, he's there.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Glady's Cafe is great. No foolin' hotsauces, singing lady, chatty waitress. A lot of fun.
JT

Maybe Pia or STJ Ruth knows the name

Post by JT »

If you were right in front of the airport,look to the far left end of the parking lot away, from the main terminal and you will see a little noticed West Indian stand. It has a woman's name that I can't remember but the pate and rotti is very good, cheap and they also sell Carib and other tasty beverages. Your cab driver will know it if you ask. Not 5 star, or even 3 star, but picnic tables and good food. Beats the devil out of what you will find inside the terminal.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.