Lunch in St Thomas on day of departure

Travel discussion for St. John
David- n Hampton, VA

Tavern on the Water

Post by David- n Hampton, VA »

My wife and I like Tavern on the Water. (I think that is the real name...but could be wrong....it is something very close though).

It is on the street facing the harbor where the ferry docks in Charlotte Amalie. AFter you get off the ferry cross the street, walk down the street to the left, and you will see it up a staircase about one block away.

Great food and good people working there.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

How much time do you give yourself before your flight? Every year we take the 2:30 flight back to Newark and it seems that we are stuck in the airport hours and hours before we leave. We are usually on St. John so we have to take an early ferry back, but what time should we check in? Last year we got there so early NO ONE was at the check in counter. We had to stand there for at least a half hour to an hour before they opened the counter. Thank you - Susan
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi Susan,

If you are on a 2:30pm flight I would be at the airport no later than 1:00pm. If you take the 12 noon ferry, you wil be at the airport by 1:00 providing all goes as planned, but having said that, you have no room for error or a "grumpy" agent at the airport who will refuse to check you in (they have been know to insist you are at the counter not the airport 1 1/2 hours before flight time) A safer option would be - providing you are here during high season and the ferry is running - the 11:15am downtown ferry thus putting you at the airport by about 12:15pm - giving you have alittle margin for error.

Pia
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

We most always have lunch on departure day at Hook Line and Sinker in Frenchtown. It's a nice place right on the harbour near where the sea planes take off. Very short ride to airport and the food is awesome. Last year they had a creole grouper lunch special for $11.00 that I barely finished and it was excellent.
BOB
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Thank you for the information. We are actually headed to St. John in two weeks so it will still be during low season. We are staying at Caneel so they usually make you take a 10 am ferry. This usually puts us at St. Thomas and the airport around 11am - so would it be possible then to go to Charlotte Amalie for an hour or two then head to the airport?
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Susan,

If you are on the 10am Caneel ferry you should be in CA by 11am at the latest. Don't go to the airport, just keep your luggage when you exit the ferry and find a taxi driver - he will keep your luggage for you and if you arrange to meet him at 12:30pm he will have you to the airport by 12:45pm giving you 1 hour 45 mins at the airport for check in (good timing :) ) and approx 1 1/2 hours in CA, and don't worry the taxi drivers do this all the time - just give a nice tip :D

Pia
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Thank you PIa! :lol: