Villa ILios?

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Villa ILios?

Post by PA Girl »

Can anyone offer information on Ilios offered by Caribeanvilla.com? It is located in the Hart Bay area. It looks interesting.
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

We stayed there in 2004, what would you like to know?
Jennifer

PA Girl

Family friendly?

Post by PA Girl »

We will be travelling with our 16 month old and I liked the adjoining bedroom feature of the master bedroom. Any thoughts on safety in terms of suitability for a toddler?

Someone described the villa as more basic. We don't need super-luxe but I expect something in this price range to be well-equiped and maintained.

We will be going into town nightly. How is the drive?

Can you offer info on any point? Thanks so much.
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

I don't remember the bunk bed room off the master, but we were kid-free at the time. I don't think you'd have any trouble hearing the little one if you guys were up in the living room at night and he/she was sleeping. I don't know if he/she would be able to get up and open the door of the bedroom alone (and wander out onto the pool deck unattended) though. Might be worth asking the villa agent, or buying a little alarm for the door so you'd know if it was opened. The master was very nice, spacious, nice big screened windows and a lovely outdoor shower.

The living room and kitchen are all open air. There are doors, but no screens that I remember so there were a fair number of critters visiting. I think there were some resident cats too, but they didn't seem to come in the house, just hung around outside. There were railings on the un-screened windows, but I don't know how stable they were.

No railing around the pool, so close supervision of the little one will be required. There are stone steps up to the master too, so you'll want to keep an eye on the little one for those too.

Beyond that, I would say the villa is a little worn but is still in decent shape and relatively well equipped. I don't remember really wanting for anything when we stayed there, but it was the least favorite of the places we've stayed. Nothing wrong with it, but not really anything special either. I do remember it being kind of hot and buggy at night in the living room which was a little unpleasant. The view wasn't that great as the plants had grown up a little tall and blocked much of it. You can still see the water though if you're standing out on the deck.

The drive into town is pretty decent, not a big deal and I think you can do it easily each night.

Let me know if you have any other particular questions, I'm happy to try and help.
Jennifer

PA Girl

Thanks!

Post by PA Girl »

Jennifer,

Thanks so much for the information. It was very helpful. We are still undecided on a rental, there are way too many choices!
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

I'm glad it helped. I thought about it more last night and if I had a 16 month old while on vacation I would choose a different place. Not because Ilios isn't nice, but because you'd NEVER be able to take your eyes off the kid. The living area is directly open to the pool deck and, while there are doors that can be closed, they are not screened and it would probably get hot in there. If you left the doors open you risk the child getting out into the courtyard and pool area where they are in danger - they move SO FAST at that age!

I'd suggest looking for a place where you can shut the doors to keep the kid contained in a safe place and have either AC or good breezes coming through.

Good luck in your search.
Jennifer

PA Girl

info

Post by PA Girl »

Your information was exactly what I was looking for in terms of a description. I crossed Ilios off the list. Thanks again.
RickG

Post by RickG »

My sister is renting Le Lapin II from Caribben Villas in November largely because of the internal staircase. Four parents and three kids at 4, 3 and 2 years old. Another part of our group with two little ones and four adults is in Dolphin Run. It has 3 adjacent bedrooms on the top level with two sharing a bathroom. External staircases with young kids gets to be a big deal when you consider pool security.

Cheers, RickG
PA Girl

good leads

Post by PA Girl »

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out this weekend.