STT Airport

Travel discussion for St. John
KenJ

STT Airport

Post by KenJ »

How early must one be at the airport in STT before leaving?? I think i saw somewhere that you should be at the airport 3 hours early now. It use to be 2 hours...But i can't see spending 3 of my last hours of vacation sitting in an airport, when it might only take 20-30 minutes.Any advice?
PA Girl

It may take more than two hours...

Post by PA Girl »

....to check in, clear security and customs. The counter check-ins can be very slow. It doesn't seem possible, but it really may take over two hours to get to your gate.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Two hours has worked for us. I really don't think that you need 3 hours.
Pia

Post by Pia »

You need to be at the counter (not airport) a minimum of 1 1/2 hours before your flight (so I have been informed in the past :D )

When I fly back to the States from STJ I do plan on being there approx 2 hours before my flight unless I have a morning flight that will allow me to avoid the "rush" of afternoon departures which is when Customs and Immigrations can really get backed up.

I have not heard anything (down here) of needing to be there 3 hours before a flight. The only flights that I know of where you need to be there 3 hours before are flights departing from England to the USA - not really relevant :D

I'm sure 2 hours will be good - put it this way when I fly back to the States next week for a 3 week business trip, 2 hours is all they are getting :D
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

It seems amazing but 2 hours can be cutting it close - especially if you are leaving on a Saturday afternoon with everyone else. The do say 3 hours early when leaving. If something goes wrong and you have left yourself only an hour and a half - think of what would be worse: spending an extra 60 minutes in the airport having a beer, or getting bumped off your flight. I know several stories of people showing up thinking they had enough time and they were not even allowed to check in. It can happen.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

This past summer we left on a Saturday afternoon as well and the lines were incredibly long. I think it took close to three hours to wind through them all. However, when I posted this upon my return, another forumite said they left the next day (a Sunday) and flew right through in less than an hour. SO, I think it depends on the day. Next year we plan to stay an extra night to avoid the same confusion we had this year!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
chattycat

Post by chattycat »

I agree if you are leaving on a Saturday you will need more time--especially if you are going in high season. The lines are super long. 8)
KenJ

Post by KenJ »

I didn't mention that we are indeed leaving on a Sat. but it is at 8 am. Since it is an early flight, i'm hoping 2 hours will do...I guess i'll find out. 170 days and counting till "wheels up"
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Ken

For a 8am flight (IMHO) you will have no problem being there at 6:30am - you must be going through SJU - so the planes are the smaller type so not too many people.
When I leave between 9:30am and 11am I usually show up at the American Airlines counter approx 1 1/2 hours before and I am usually one of only 2 or 3 people checking in.
I don't even think the airport is open at 5am :D
Do what you are comfortable with but 1 1/2 hours at that time of day should be fine
Pia
KenJ

Post by KenJ »

Thanks Again!!