Abaco in the Bahamas

Travel discussion for St. John
designbyroe

Abaco in the Bahamas

Post by designbyroe »

I know this is the St. John board and USVI and BVI......but have any of you been to Abaco?
I had a client that went and loved it and told me about the New England style architecture......she has been to STJ as well and thinks I would love it.

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

Well I can be a LITTLE help here. I know 2 couples that were there last summer. One sailed from Tampa and the other couple flew American to Abaco and met them there. They LOVED it and would not stay anywhere else in the Bahamas. I THINK Abaco is expensive compared to St John standards but not sure.... :roll:
My Avatar is my Corona moment......
nancyr84

We were there in June

Post by nancyr84 »

HI,
We went to the Abacos In June. We stayed on Elbow Cay and visited a few other islands during our stay. We had a great time. You travel by golf cart on the island, it really is great fun. The people were very friendly. Now compared to St John , the snorkeling was a big disapointment to me. Unless you rent a boat not much from shore. The scenery does not compare in my opinion, very flat. I cannot say I never would go back but vaction time and money being such as it is I think I will always want my St John. It was very expensive also. The place we rented was very basic, more bang for your bucks villa wise on St John.
Nancy
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

My wife Jackie & I will be staying in Elbow Cay next May. She originally had suggested the Exuma Cays, but The Abacos seemd more interesting.

Just trying something different from the VIs. Thought about Culebra or Vieques too.

JohnM
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

I have been several times. While it is no St. John, I truly loved it. If you don't rent a boat while you are there, you will miss the best parts about it. Abaco is one large island with a chain of tiny cays that run alongside it, bordered by a huge coral reef. Everything you want to see and do, you do by water. With a boat, you can go from cay to cay and see the quaint harborfront towns each one has to offer, some fantastic beach bars (Nippers rivals any beach bar I have ever been to), and some absolutely astounding snorkeling along the reef. It's a fantastic place, but you have to know where to go and what to do or it may just seem lacking to you. I have visted many of the cays and prefer staying on Guana Cay. Small, laid back, nice feel. Feel free to PM me if you want more details or info.