Car Rental Question

Travel discussion for St. John
Tiffany

Car Rental Question

Post by Tiffany »

:?:

Hey everyone!! Quick question for you regulars. I got engaged and we are planning a July 2007 wedding on St. John. My mom and I are coming in two weeks to do some planning and wanted to get your advice on car rental. We are staying Thursday-Monday. Would you recommend going ahead and renting a car or are the taxi's a better bet? We are planning on doing a bit of running around. Also, I know some of you have said in the past that it's a better deal to rent on St. Thomas and take the car over on the ferry...is that still the same? Any help is appreciated. We are so looking forward to our trip and to the wedding in paradise. Thanks in advance..Tiffany
Thanks, Tiffany
CarolJLF

Post by CarolJLF »

If you have running around to do, I would prefer having a car. (Just remember to drive on the LEFT!) We always find it easier and more convenient to rent on St. Thomas and take the car ferry over. That way, you can load your luggage into the car at the airport and not worry about lugging it onto a taxi, on and off of the "people ferry" and then to a car rental on St. John.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Tiffany - if all of your running around is in Cruz Bay and nearby beaches, you may be fine simply because in Cruz Bay you would probably park your car and walk around as there is not alot of parking there.

I, personally, would want a rental car to be able to see the rest of the island to be able to tell the rest of my guests about everything.

I also would prefer not to to have to drive on STT (as stated before I am from New Orleans - total flat land); therefore, we just rent on STJ.

Good luck in your choices and have a wonderful wedding!!!!

nothintolose
Pia

Post by Pia »

Congratulations Tiffany on your upcoming wedding - you have picked a wonderful island :D

Anyway, I think it depends on your comfort level as to whether you rent in STT or not. Personally (I live on STJ) I refuse to drive my car backwards, up a ramp, and park within 4" of another car - which is what you have to do on the ferry - just don't do well reversing with an audience :D - so I make my husband do it on the trips that we do to STT.

Another thing to consider is that if you breakdown, have a flat, loose your keys etc you are responsible for getting the car to STT.

Having said all that I would definately rent a car - there is so much to see and do and just being able to visit all the places you may want to tell your guests about it is worth the freedowm

Pia
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Hi,
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Maybe both - if you've got a lot of running around in Cruz bay, then taxi (just to get you there) should work out fine. For days when you may be running around to check out different beach sites (aka wedding locations), a car would be easier.

Unlike here in the states where you can pick up a rental for a weekend for about $30-40/day, the rentals in STJ run more around $60-70.

If your only plans to be on St. Thomas are to get to/from the airport, I would recommend renting on St. John.

For our week-long trips, we typically rent for 3 days; and taxi/walk the remaining time. We've never felt inconvenienced not having a car.

enjoy,
janet
Genral

Post by Genral »

Seems every time we go from the Airport to Redhook, the taxi goes a different route. I guess we'd find our way eventually (just keep going East) but the heavy traffic, steep, narrow roads, and crazy drivers make me tooo nervous to drive on STT. Besides, you'll do best with a four wheel drive on STJ, and (correct me if I'm wrong) but the last time I checked, 4WD vehicles were about the same price on STT as they are on STJ. Regular 2WD cars are pretty cheap on STT, but if it rains and you're on a steep road - well, you don't want to spend your honeymoon in the hospital. And of course, there is the convienience of parking in the rental company's lot whenever you visit Cruz Bay. Good luck with your wedding!!! Genral
No matter where you go, there you are.