Cruz Bay vs. Coral Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

Were exactly is Island Blues? Past Skinny's or out past Shipwreck? This will be our 4th time but have missed some of the GOOD places.
:?
[/url]
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

onthelake wrote:Were exactly is Island Blues? Past Skinny's or out past Shipwreck? This will be our 4th time but have missed some of the GOOD places.
:?
Before Shipwreck, on the left.
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

Thanks .. We must have went by 5 times last year.

We are staying at Concordia studio for a few days - Thanksgiving weekend. Couldn't get into our place and didn't want to waste the days off. :wink:
Anyone know anything about these units?
[/url]
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I am always amazed by the places that others will talk about on here that I just plain missed. Not that I've never been by them, its just that my brain is on island time.

Beach Bar for one. I was like "where, what?"
And then "Ohhhhhhhh!"
Connie

Post by Connie »

Thanks everybody. I'm really excited about checking out the Coral Bay area.

Now...we're not going to have a 4x4. I only rented a small car this time. As long as it doesn't rain, are we ok with climbing some of the hills to Coral Bay?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Honey likes Coral Bay. It's where he hangs with all the other hippies!
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Hey Connie!
I can't remember if you have been to STJ before but there is at least 1 wild corkscrew turn on each of the 3 main roads.
Are you renting a car on STJ? They should have 4 wheel drive. The car rentals in STT may not.
Try to get a 4 wheel drive if you can. It will give you peace of mind when you are twisting up, up, up! Rain or slick roads could be a whole other story!:shock:
Good luck on your adventure!
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Connie - Centerline has less sharp turns and no switchback like the ones on the North Shore so if it's raining, go that way.

Island Blues is right before Aqua Bistro but on the water side. There is a curve just past the restaurant. There is a small building across the street that is like a very mini mart.

Great atmosphere in there but don't go in expecting to do anything other than slow down and get on Island Time.

These are the only pics I have of it and the first one is coming from the junction of Coral Bay.

The second is coming from Shipwreck towards the junction.

The other is the curve in the road before you hit Aqua Bistro.

Check out Cat's trip report for more pics.

I just love the laid back atmosphere of Coral Bay. The Beach Bar has that same atmosphere in Cruz Bay :)

nothintolose
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Connie,
I would think that depending on what type of atmosphere your into is whether you'll like to hang out in Coral Bay or not.
We were there for 2 weeks on our Honeymoon, and in that whole time it never got loud or crowded. We absolutally loved it. The Cruz bay islanders call it "the country", IT"S REALLY LAID BACK :) The total opposite of Cruz.

The pics above from nothintolose are good examples.

Just my 2 cents.
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
JT

Coral Bay Sucks!

Post by JT »

Coral Bay Sucks! There's nothing to do there. It's full of hippies, bums, and pirates. The beaches are rocky, and full of Jumbies and sea squirrels! All of us tourists should stay away!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Connie

Post by Connie »

lol....sea squirrels? Never heard of them.

We've taken the road over to trunk and cinnamon, so I know that one turn. A cement truck coming the other way, hit the wall and almost turned over, on to us. Really scarey moment.

We're staying and renting the car on STT and then we were going to take the car ferry over for one day. That would be our Coral Bay day. Probably go over for another day, just to hang around Cruz Bay.

We had a jeep before, and although I love them, we never even took the top down. Just too much sun from the beach and snorkeling all day. That's one of the reasons we decided to just get a regular small car.

I may consider leaving the car on STT, taking the people ferry over and then renting a 4x4 for the day on STJ.

I have to learn to relax a little bit and just go with the flow. I worry too much about these little things.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Whatever you do, you will have a wonderful time just being there!

Have a GREAT trip!

nothintolose
DELETED

Cruz Bay vs. Coral Bay

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:32 pm.