Carry On luggage

Travel discussion for St. John
Ksea

Carry On luggage

Post by Ksea »

Hi all you carry on only fans! Does anyone have a fabulous wheeled carry on that is 45 linear inches or less and not too expensive? Im in the market for 3-5 of them for family travels. Ive looked at lots of luggage on-line but would appreciate any suggestions from my forum friends.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I have a rolling bag that I got years ago that I love and was not expensive. It meets the airline's carry-on requirements.

My friend works at Sears and she told me they were on sale, but maybe it was last week, for around $20-$25. They usually have great deals on luggage at Sears, and it lasts forever.

Ever since the new guidelines I don't mess with carry-ons and just check everything but my laptop.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I got a GREAT deal on some Samsonite through this very forum! I can't remember the link, but I'll see what I can do this evening when I get home from work. :D
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

We have found that 24" is about the max length carry on that you can fit in the overhead radially or perpendicular to the aisle of the plane. It really frosts me when someone comes on with a carry on as long as 36" and ends up taking 3 persons' space in the overhead.

Unfortunately, most luggage these days comes in either 22" or 26". If you can find a 24", grab it. We were exceptionally lucky finding some 24 " wheeled duffels that were an Eddie Bauer christmas promotion 3 years ago. They will hold the fins for a family of 5 and fit in the overheads perfectly.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I bought the bags from ricksteves.com for the kids. They are light, nicely wheeled and carry-on size. For St. John, I use one of these for two kids. For Europe I use one per kid.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

Agree about the rolling duffles as you can roll them down the plane aisles - 14" is just a bit too wide to roll easily to your seat without catching an armrest or someone's elbow - well, unless you're lucky enough to be in fist class - :lol:

- Margy
California Girl

Ok, with help from Anthony, I have that website for you to check out for great luggage deals. It's www.ebags.com

Here's what I got: http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm ... nite_72414

and it's still the same price as it was a year ago. It's a 22" rolling bag and a tote that fits onto the handle so it rolls as one piece. (and it rolls sideways for going down the aisle on the plane) Rick and I each took one of these "Boarding Sets" to STJ. It held everything we needed and more for a week's stay. And you can't beat the price of $80.99! For Samsonite!
:D
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

[quote="California Girl"]Ok, with help from Anthony, I have that website for you to check out for great luggage deals. It's www.ebags.com

Here's what I got: http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm ... nite_72414

and it's still the same price as it was a year ago.

CG, how much stuff fits in that bag that I am so tempted to buy? I REALLY want to do carry on this time because we are connecting through San Juan, but I don't know if we can do it. I know some people can live with three t-shirts and a pair of shorts for a ten day trip, but frankly, I can't. Neither can John. And, I am willing and able to cook on vacation, but I absolutely REFUSE to do laundry. So, what say you? How much can I cram in that bag while still respecting the seams?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
California Girl

I packed much lighter than Rick. OMG, I can't even believe how much he took in that bag! Here's what I fit into it: 3 pr. flip-flops, 3 pr. shorts, 3 tank tops, 2 cami's (that I never ended up wearing), a sundress, 2 nicer shirts for dinner, a square griddle (that's GRIDDLE, not Girdle, Jorge!), 1 bathing suit, 3 beach coverups, 1 long tank t-shirt dress, 1 pr. t-shirt pants, all my cosmetic stuff (brushes, toothpaste, etc), undies, folding hairdryer, and of course, my hot rollers! (Ha! I laugh at myself now!) We checked the rolling bags because we carried on our snorkel gear. :lol:

I can't remember what else, I know there was a lot more. I put a change of clothes (a tank top and a pr. of shorts) in the tote bag, along with a bathing suit and my meds, and carried that on, in case our luggage got lost :roll:

I also did a couple small loads of laundry while we were there. (tiny loads, no hassle, nothing like doing laundry at home!)

We checked a rolling cooler, too, and on the way back, I filled it with all the sh%t I bought. Padded the booze with many t-shirts!
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Hi Ksea - we do carry-ons only (no checked luggage) ALWAYS unless we're carrying scuba gear (of course we don't have any scuba gear at the moment as we're STILL waiting for the box of scuba gear that we mailed from Virgin Gorda to our home address in California on June 30th... but don't get me started on that one!!).

We have a couple of carry-ons from Costco (Kirkland brand) that we like. We also have a Rick Steves carry-on that my son uses... it is really light weight (geared for some of the European airlines that have more stringent weight restrictions). I think I paid ~$100 ea. for those carry-ons. My husband uses a TravelPro carry-on, but that brand is a lot more expensive.

Oh... I have ordered from ebags.com in the past... I like to shop from them too.

Carole
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Liamsaunt.........I do carry on only and here is what I can get in mine: 4 pr. shorts, 7 tops, 4 swimsuits, 4 coverups, 4 pr. sandals, necessary undies and jammies, mask and snorkel (rent fins), neat sheet, 3 sarongs, a gallon size bag of vitamins, fish oil, tea bags, splenda, and any other necessitiy that will fit in that bag.........then.......I use a tote bag that doubles as my beach bag. In that I put my camera, quart size bag of liquids (I buy my shampoo, cond, bug spray, etc. when I get there), makeup, I-pod, a very small purse I use to go to dinner, book, that sort of thing.

It can be a bit to haul down the isle of a plane, esp. if you are near the rear, but it saves the hassle of baggage claim and makes you not take as much.

As far as doing laundry.......I only wash what is necessary and it's really not much. Some days it's a load of swimsuits that I hang to dry for the next day. It's much easier than hand washing. I also wash beach towels so I don't run out and I like to leave all the towels clean when I leave. Weird, huh!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

In my suitcase, I packed:
3 bathing suits
4 pairs of shorts
2 skirts
3 t-shirts
3 nicer tops
2 pairs flip flops
undies and jammies
1 swim suit coverup
travel hair dryer

In my tote:
toiletries in plastic bag (including sunscreen and bug spray)
camera
hat
small purse
book(s)
ipod

I did not laundry. I get up in the morning and throw on a suit and my coverup and head to the beach. I get back to the house, take a shower and dress for dinner. ( the dinner outfit is never worn for longer than 3 or 4 hours, so I get more than one day from an outfit.)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

This definitely sounds doable. I am shipping my fins down in advance (I don't really like them so am planning to use them this trip and then get rid of them). Thanks for everyone's input. I'll let you know if I am able to actually manage carry on only! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I used an Eddie Bauer carryon bag that was about $100. My list looks almost identical to Cypressgirl's. You can do it, liamsaunt!
Image[/url]
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Thank you thank you thank you! Im headed to ebags to check out the samsonite rolling do hicky that holds all that stuff that CA Girl listed. That's more than I was planning to pack next time, but I always need room to bring tings home that I purchased while drunk shopping and sober shopping. I get the two confused sometimes.