Daysail

Travel discussion for St. John
waterguy

Daysail

Post by waterguy »

I'm looking for a boat that can take 8 people from STJ to ether jost or virgin Gerda. Also would like help with where we should go have been to STJ 7 times and have never ventured off the island
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Since I just did a bunch of research on this, i can tell you that I think the only sailboat that ventures into the BVI's right now is Breath.

Contact Peter or Dorothy Muilenburg @ breath8@attglobal.net OR go to the website http://www.sailbreath.com/ OR go to the Maho Bay Camps website (they sail from there). Visit the website at http://www.maho.org/Sailing.cfm.

This is what Peter sent to me:
"We usually go on Fridays and need a six person minimum . Our maximum for BVI trips is 12 passengers. Cost is $20 per person Customs fees and $110 per person."

It may take a few weeks for then to respond to your email as email is a sketchy thing on the islands sometimes.

You can also book several powerboat and catamaran trips that are available. Try some of the links on this website under Trip Planning or Google "st john virgin islands charters" or something like that.
madness

Post by madness »

We did a trip on New Horizons and they were great. We are sailors, but to quickly get from point A to point B, a powerboat is great. They leave from the park dock, and go right to the baths on Virgin Gorda, then you go and have lunch on Marina Cay(?), then there is a snorkel stop, and then you are off to Jost Van Dyke. We ended up at One Love and I loved Seddy and his magic tricks. Then it is back to St. John. There are also plenty of rum punches and snacks along the way.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Do you know a good power boat to check into
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

If it were me, I would rent a powerboat from Ocean Runners (they will accomodate up to 10)and hire a private captain for the day.
---Jim
Diane

Post by Diane »

I agree with iowaguy; hire an Ocean Runner boat with a captain. It shouldn't be too expensive since there are 8 of you.
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

I would HIGHLY recommend going on a day trip with Born to Rhumb (borntorhumb.com). Seven of us had a fabulous day with Captain Kevin and first mate Andy last April. We went to Foxy's, Soggy Dollar, the Indians, the Caves, Sandy Spit and the Willie Tee. Just amazing!! One note - I believe Kevin is only on island during the season. You can email him to see if he will be there when you go.
Paula