Airline Price Hike - HELP

Travel discussion for St. John
pswlrw

Airline Price Hike - HELP

Post by pswlrw »

Hi everyone,

I am going to St. John in April. I have already booked my daughter's flight with FF miles (direct Boston to STT). I was waiting to book the rest until I knew exactly who was going. The airfare had been $482 round trip. I just checked today and it's $700!!!!! Is there any chance that this airfare will come back down, or I am just indulging in wishful thinking :cry:
Paula

California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Airfares are always fluctuating and I think if you check daily (particularly in the middle of the night, so I'm told) you will find a better fare eventually. My travel agent says the fares actually change hourly in some cases! Hang in there and be persistent! :D
Splasher54

airfares

Post by Splasher54 »

We had booked our flights at the beginning of August for $330 out of Providence. When a friend decided to join us, The same flights were $600-700!!! We checked every day for a month and a half (and late at night too!) Finally got a break last week and it dropped to $420. So hang in there and be patient. Good Luck!
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Just booked flights for Nov. and Dec. Paid $482 out of Hartford/Springfield. Fares were actually $424.00 but all the taxes and fees brought it up. Interesting that the tax for the facility fee was $15 in Dec and only $10.50 for Nov. Those taxes really brought the fee up almost $60 dollars. There's even a fee for plant and animal inspection!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

We bought our tickets for April out of Hartford for $520 in July. One of the couple joining us waiting until a few weeks ago and paid $700.00. I always use a travel agent and trust her judgement. I don't have the energy to keep looking for a price drop. If she says she thinks it will only go up, I buy right away. She has never steered me wrong.
NoWorriesMom

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Just curious, when you check prices are you checking for the dates you need or do you check say from now until a month or two after you go? We've found that the real deals pop up when you sort of pretend you don't care when you're going and then once you see a fare you like check if it and seats are available for your exact dates. Good luck and if this is a duh, sorry :wink:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Steve S

Re: airfares

Post by Steve S »

Splasher54 wrote:We had booked our flights at the beginning of August for $330 out of Providence.
Jet Blue has Caribbean service to San Juan out of Providence, this probably helps keep the price down...
Patty

Airfare Price Hike

Post by Patty »

In previous years, we always found deals. However, last year we paid more than we ever had. For months, I checked fares many times daily and even at 1 a.m. I finally just booked and lived with it! I hope that airlines offer some deals this year.