I have questions!

Travel discussion for St. John
mbw1024

I have questions!

Post by mbw1024 »

Did a little shopping this morning and met Ruth. She's as fabulous as expected!

Here's my questions: when I see a BIG barracuda swimming very close to the shore, what do I do? Run for the hills or just pretend it's not there.
We went to Hawksnest today and I was SO hot I just took the plunge as soon as I hit the beach. Only to find out there were 3 or 4 Big Daddy's swimming right around me. :shock:

Also, which is the beach that has a stair case heading down from North Shore Road? I saw it yesterday but I wasn't sure which beach that was.

New pictures here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mbw1024/Hon ... 0210122006
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Barracudas will not bother you. Physically, that is. Psychologically, they scare me a bit too.

To be safe, take of any sparkly jewelry like earrings and rings and necklaces. They might think these sparkly things are the little fish they like to eat.

The beach you asked about is Jumbie Beach!
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Mary Beth – as for the barracuda, you do what every good diver does – STAB YOUR BUDDY! Just kidding of course. I have been diving for 30+ years and never had a problem with barracudas (except the one that gets my Red Snapper before I get it into the boat). Barracudas are attracted to shiny objects – so I don’t wear any jewelry when I go into the water. Other then that – they won’t bother you.

Don’t know about the other question.

Loving the pictures.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hi Mary Beth,

The barracudas won't bother you. They are territorial, so if you see one, it's best not to get really super close, as it will agitate them. That said, I swam next to big guy in less than two feet of water at Waterlemon, and he did not seem to mind.

Jumbie Beach is nice, but I like the beach before it, Gibney beach, better. Just park at the iron gate and walk down the driveway. There is good snorkeling there and the beach is nice and sandy.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Mary Beth! Love the pictures!! That may not be your hat, but you sure do look cute in it! (Where were you sitting sipping that drink?) And speaking of cute... how about that shot in the pool under the waterfall?

The Bongo Boys should include some of your pictures in their website. The view from the red bedroom is excellent!
Coden

Post by Coden »

Hi Marybeth - Loved the pic of you in the pool under the waterfall...you look like you are having so much fun!! All of the pics are spectacular by the way. :)
Coden
isla_jen

Post by isla_jen »

Mary Beth,

you've got to explore Jumbie Beach-it is my favorite. It is super fun to sit there, alone, and watch all the huge ships come in to Trunk.

The reef is fabulous on the right had side as you are looking out on the ocean. Lots of creatures in the coral and we saw our first shark there. :shock:

~Jen
patr

Post by patr »

Thanks for sharing your pics!

Looks like a really nice coffee grinder. :) Bongo Bongo looks likes a very nice villa.

Congrats on your marriage, looks like you're having a great vacation.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

MaryBeth....I forgot to tlook at the pictures after I answered your questions!

I love Bongo at night. Good God, just looking at the pictures, I could hear the tree frogs and nite bugs! Love it!
parafins

jumbie beach

Post by parafins »

A word of warning about Jumbie Beach.If you like to take pictures of white cactus flowers remember your shoes!!When I was there in June, I came out of the water and seen this wonderful flower blume on a tall cactus.Of course I wanted a picture so I ran up to it barefooted and snaped the photo.Then I stepped back on a cactus sucker!Ahhh!!I came out of it o.k.I have tough feet.To get my mind off of it I visited Oppenhimmer next!Good cure! Have fun and enjoy!!
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...