Trip Report 2 - Details

Travel discussion for St. John
mariang

Trip Report 2 - Details

Post by mariang »

Thank you everyone who asked for details. I'm not sure there's really that much to tell.

As I said, my friend had never snorkelled before so she rented her equipment from the Westin, where we stayed. I have a timeshare there, or hope to when the divorce is settled. Yes, that's right, 2 single staight divorcing women set loose on the US "Virgin" Islands!!

So, we went to Maho Sunday after "dealing" with the less than pleasant young woman O'connor's rental car agency on the Westin property and had a fabulous afternoon. The water was the perfect bathtub I'd described on so many occasions in the past. Flat, crystal clear, warm - your only worry is don't fall asleep floating on your back. We snorkelled the whole right side. Only thing exciting we saw were juvenile & adult blue angel fish and a group of cuddle fish (squid). She did really well until we were about 2/3 the way back and started to have a panic attack. We were fighting the current and it scared her that she didn't seem to be getting closer to shore even though she was but I got her back safe & sound. More importantly ... she still wanted to snorkel. :)

That evening on the way back to the Westin from the beach is the only time our entire week that we had a down pour - and it only lasted about 10 minutes!!

That night was the dinner at the Balcony - forgot what we had that night to eat but I've never had anything I didn't like. On the other hand - I'm not big on seafood so take that with a grain of salt. And try that Cruzan for a Bruisin'!

Seriously, that's pretty much how our week went. Wed. night went to Pastory Gardens for the sunset and even though we had a cloud shaped like an aircraft carrier that wouldn't move, I think I still got some really great shots. Fell in love with that Peanutbutter Bushwacker drink, flirted shamelessly with the waiter, had a fabulous steak with horseradish sauce and called it a night. Thursday hung out at the Westin pool all day met some very nice people from New Mexico who we will be staying in touch with and had dinner with them at Pastory again Friday night. They were very impressed by the mini golf course that we walked after dinner. It's the most beautiful one I've ever seen.

It went by too quickly. I can't wait to be there again. But I refuse to start counting down at this point - it would be too depressing. :oops:

If I upload my pics from this year and past years I'll post where but I make no promises.

I wish everyone going to the VI's a wonderful time. How can you have anything but?

Marian
Last edited by mariang on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're going through Hell,
Keep on going, you might get through
Before the devil even knows you're there.
- Artist, Rodney Adkins
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing all of the details. I have got to get over to Pastory Gardens one of these trips.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks for the TR - we hope to play mini-golf one night while we are on STJ. That has always been a fun thing to do while on vacation.
Coden
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

“I have a timeshare there, or hope to when the divorce is settled. Yes, that's right, 2 single staight divorcing women set loose on the US "Virgin" Islands!!”

Oh – a great twist on an old joke: “What do Hurricanes and ex-wife’s have in common – They both get the time-share in the Virgin Islands”. Just kidding of course.

Thanks so much for posting more about your vacation. I too want to try the mini-golf at Pastory on our next trip. Please do post your pictures – just can’t get enough of that beautiful place.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Thanks for your trip and drink report :lol: :lol: , sounds like you had a great time!

And good for you, and the island, two newly divorced women! 8)

Let us know when you begin to plan your next trip!

Jan (aka Charlie)
RickG

How do you like your timeshare?

Post by RickG »

mariang, how do you like your timeshare? What type do you have? I actually visit regularly and thought it might make sense for me for a yearly "not with a group" trip.

Our house for November, Cocotier, is in Virgin Grand Estates and has Westine privileges, so I'll have chance to enjoy the facilities.

Cheers, RickG