Sunset dinner? Best way to Jost V.D.?

Travel discussion for St. John
msgcolleen

Sunset dinner? Best way to Jost V.D.?

Post by msgcolleen »

Any suggestions on a nice restaurant on St. John where you can have dinner & see the sunset? We will be there from Oct. 21st - 25th and discovered (from StJohnspice) that some restaurants are closed.

Another thought . . . we want to go to Jost Van Dyke on Sunday, Oct. 22nd for the day. Should we take the ferry or find a charter? Any recomendations this time of year?
Thanks! :lol:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

For a sunset dinner, I would recommend (in descending order for view quality):

Asolare, expensive, but excellent, unobstructed views of the sunset, especially if you get a table on the rail--make a reservation for 5:30 PM to increase your chances.

Zozo's, not as expensive as Asolare but still pricy, very good Italian and stellar wine list with nice, partially obstructed sunset views (the restaurant is behind one row of the Gallows Point units)

For nice ocean views (not necessarily of the sun setting):

Stone Terrace (again, get a 5:30 PM reservation for a table on the rail), very good food with decent views over Cruz Bay, pricy.

Balcony, less expensive than the others and more casual--views out over the boats in Cruz Bay. The trees have been growing almost to the point where the view is obstructed, but they are not quite there yet.

Hope this helps! I've only been to JVD once, on a New Horizons II charter, so someone else may have better information for you there.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Thanks so much for the great info on the restaurants you have been to. They all sound fabulous! Can't wait! :D

iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I would heartily endorse Liamsaunt's list. Also, one of my favorite sunset things to do is to have a drink at the 3rd floor crow's nest bar at Zozo's. Once you get a seat there, and have a few cocktails, you may forget about dinner---its a really great view.
---Jim
RickG

Post by RickG »

iowaguy wrote:I would heartily endorse Liamsaunt's list. Also, one of my favorite sunset things to do is to have a drink at the 3rd floor crow's nest bar at Zozo's. Once you get a seat there, and have a few cocktails, you may forget about dinner---its a really great view.
I see a good number of folks taking dinner at the bar and enjoying the sunset. I like Zozo's for a drink, but you pay for the view!

Cheers, RickG
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Zozo's for drinks and a couple of appetizers especially the calimari. You won't need dinner. Just sit and enjoy

www.pbase.com/promoguy101
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Hi,

We always have our "last supper" at a front table at Asolare. The view, service and food are wonderful.

If the ferry is running, take the ferry to JVD. I'm guessing this will be the less expensive option. Once there, grab a taxi to White Bay. Enjoy lunch and few painkillers at the Soggy Dollar bar. Since you are going during off-season, you may be able to "borrow" a few chairs at the beach in front of the Soggy Dollar. Otherwise I think you can rent chairs (or bring your own). After you're done at White Bay, have a taxi bring you over to Foxy's for a visit. From there you can walk back to the ferry dock (there is an overgrown field with a matted down path that you can cut through).

enjoy your trip,
janet
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Sounds like a plan! Thanks 4 the recomendations!!!
Toes in the sand in 13 days!

Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

The restaurant at Pastory Gardens is good for a sunset as well.
Bob & Anita
RickG

Post by RickG »

The Cruz Bay/Jost Van Dyke ferry runs on Thursdays and Sunday. You probably want to check that before you leave, these schedules have a habit of changing. Taking one ferry to Tortola and then another to JVD and back is going to eat a lot of time if that's your only Sunday option.

A better option is to rent a boat from Ocean Runner with a captain. That way you can move at your own schedule and see what you like. Everything you want to see/do on JVD is water accessible - Great Harbor/Foxy's, White Bay/Soggy Dollar, East End/Taboo/Bubbly Pool.

Once on White Bay there are a number of places where you can use the beach chairs and facilities as long as you patronize them. Gertrude's Beach Bar has a bunch of chairs and good food (takes a while) and is local owned. We spent three nights at Gertrude's Beach Bungalow in 2004. Seddy's One Love has a great feet in the sand bar. If Seddy is in he'll do magic tricks. Short trip report and pictures are at http://www.garvin.us/STJ/Trip_Reports/2 ... pping.html

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI