Anti-fog spray and prescription masks?

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Anti-fog spray and prescription masks?

Post by Coden »

Okay, so after I got my mask and prescription lenses I tried them out in a friends pool. No problem, saw very clear and well through them. But they did tend to fog up so I went and bought some anti-fog spray and during my visit to Florida last week I did as the bottle said. I sprayed on the anti-fog stuff, and then rinsed it off and let the mask and lenses dry before using.

Well, it was like looking through a prism. The water was Very Clear where I was last week. Although everything in it was brown. Ha! But I couldn't see. Everything was wavey and my eyes watered.

My question is - Could I have just not rinsed off enough of the solution? I rubbed it in and then rinsed it off. Should I have not rubbed it in? Should I have rinsed longer?

It was very disappointing to say the least and I'm trying to rectify this before our trip to STJ in December.

I appreciate any help I can get on this. Thanks!!!
Coden
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Did you clean your new lenses first with toothpaste? I always do this with a new mask and then, after a thorough rinsing, let it dry well. Then when I actually use the mask I use Sea Drops (some just use spit....ikk) spred thinly on the inside and outside of the mask and then rinse before putting it on. If you do this you should have no problemo. Are you using that antifog stuff that you use on you car windshield?
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Coden,

You need to clean a new mask first as Diana2 said. I have used "Softscrub" before and the mask should squeek when it is clean. Before each snorkel I use a mixture of 50% Johnsons Baby shampoo and 50% water in a small spray bottle (much cheaper than buying anti fog solution) spray inside and outside of the mask, rub around and rinse in the ocean and it will be perfectly clear for your snorkel (spit is even cheaper but yuck - but I did it for years before I was told of the "magic mixture") :D

Hope this helps - you'll have a great time.

Pia
Coden

Post by Coden »

Hi Diana2 and Pia - I did clean with toothpaste first. The spray I used is from Speedo. It says that it is for swim goggles, ski goggles, sun, sport and eye glasses. I figured snorkel mask fell in there somewhere. Maybe not?

I recleaned with toothpaste again after trying them out in the Gulf but haven't used them since. I think I will scrub both mine and my sons angain and then try the 50% baby shampoo water solution and see what happens.

Thnx!
Coden
bert

Post by bert »

I snorkle every day, and good old spit works fine for me. Spit on the inside of each lens, rub it around, rinse with sea water. Voila - I can see! Another good method is to leave a bit of water inside the mask. If fog starts to develop, just tilt your head down and the water will clear the fog.

peace.... bert
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

bert wrote:Another good method is to leave a bit of water inside the mask. If fog starts to develop, just tilt your head down and the water will clear the fog.

peace.... bert
That's a great idea! I'm going to try that next time.

For me, spit works better than the defogging solutions.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

After you rub in the spray or drops (which ever you use) then rinse once with sea water, then put the mask on, don't dry. The stinging in your eyes could have been sunscreen.

The magic solution idea sounds good and worth a try.
Bob & Anita
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks you all for some great ideas. I'll try them all!!

And B&A - I agree about the sunscreen. It always tears me up. I'll try to be more careful with it in the future. :)
Coden
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

We use barkeepers friend to clean the masks (at the villa). In the water, spit, rinse and put the mask on. It works pretty well.

Also, if I know I'm going snorkeling, I don't put suntan lotion on my face. It seems to seal better that way and it's easier on my eyes.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Sarah D - I think that was my problem with the tearing up, the suntan lotion. Lesson learned!! and one that I will share with my family before we go snorkeling again. :)
Coden
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Hi Coden - I've used Sea Drops for years and they are the best for anti-fogging your mask. They are pretty cheap and last a long time since you only use a couple of drops on the inside and outside. Usually order them from Divers Direct or you can also get them at Low Key in Cruz Bay (may a dollar more expensive there... :wink: )
Coden

Post by Coden »

Hey Sunflower - Would you mind checking the ingredients of the Sea Drops for me? That way I can compare it to the Speedo anti-fog solution that I already bought. The ingredients for the Speedo stuff is:

Exxene AF-091 75% and Water 25%

Thnx!!!
Coden
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Hi Coden - I'll dig out my mesh bag and check for you tonight...will let you know tomorrow a.m. :)
isla_jen

Post by isla_jen »

ok, I'll bite. What does toothpaste do? I feel super dumb-I've been snorkeling for years.

~Jen :oops:
Thimbu

Post by Thimbu »

Toothpaste is just a mild abrasive to remove any built up residue from products like Sea Drops or sunscreen. We've used both Sea Drops and Speedo and they seem to work about the same. We usually treat our masks initially with this stuff and resort to the old spit method after a few days.