Fins needed at all beaches on STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Fins needed at all beaches on STJ?

Post by Coden »

Will I need to use my fins at all of the beaches on STJ?

I did use them while in Florida last week, just to try them out since they were new, and I had booties on so that made the fins feel better. I will have to say that I like swimming w/o fins better though because I like the feel of the water on my feet.

So now I'm wondering if some of the beaches are a MUST that you wear fins and some are not?

Thnx bunches!!!
Coden
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I have full foot fins and I always use them. If you're just kind of floating around and don't really need to swim against a current or cover a great deal of distance I suppose you could skip the fins in some locations but I personally don't.
Bill in Va

Finny story

Post by Bill in Va »

Hey there. Fins just save a lot of energy. Can be a big deal if there is a current. You can go in any of the beach access w/o fins. A couple of the beaches, Lameshure and Saltpond do have a rocky entrance area on part of the beach which makes the booties a nice thing to have on. Basicly fins allow you do go further with less energy. 49 days till we get back!!!God bless.....Bill
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I always wear fins because they allow me to stay out longer and snorkel further from the beach. I would not last nearly as long without the fins. I got a bad foot cramp last trip quite a ways from the beach, and had to remove my fin. Swimming back was much more of a challenge without the fins. I was tired when I got to shore.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Coden

I think it depends on how good of a swimmer you are and how long you wish to snorkel.

I swim for a hour a day when I'm being good and trying to stay in shape using a snorkel as it makes "working out" so much more interesting, and never use fins, so I just think it is personal preference but you do move faster and use less energy without them but the salt water is so easy to stay afloat in anyway I've never had a problem.

Pia
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Coden, it wasn't clear by your question if you were asking about fins for swimming, snorkeling or both. Highly recommend fins while snorkeling but no need for fins if you are just swimming. If you are just lounging in waters with a sandy botton then bare foot is fine.
Bob & Anita
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks for all of the replies. It sounds like when snorkeling it will be best for us to use our fins.

I appreciate everyones help! :)
Coden