Changes in Coral Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
JT

Changes in Coral Bay

Post by JT »

There is a very well written piece in the STJ SUNTIMES by Peter Muilenburg, [captain and builder of Breath, long time East End resident and author of "Adrift on a Sea of Blue Light], concerning the upcoming changes to my favorite place on earth. Read it at http://homepage.mac.com/stjohnsuntimes/index.html

Peter puts a positive light on the two
proposed marinas and upcoming "progress" to Coral Bay. He gives a mostly positive slant to the proposals, though he does knock the "floating trailer park" of the existing harbor. Personally I like the character of most of those folks living in the harbor,hard core drinkers, or not, but I must admit that they do contribute to the trash and pollution of the bay. Many also contribute to the service industry and provide construction expertise. I wonder how Peter would feel if the changes were proposed to be built in his back yard on Hanson Bay instead? The changes are inevitable, though I don't see them as entirely positive. I think they will bring a whole new wave of criminals and carpetbaggers, with both blue collars and white.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks for posting, JT. The scariest thing mentioned in the article, at least to me, is a potential 150 room hotel in Coral Bay. Think I've seen that mentioned before, but I'm hoping its just someone's idea (was it proposed by the church?)and not actually in any approved plan. Coral Bay will continue to develop, but I would hope that people will have the good sense to promote higher quality smaller developments rather than something this massive.
---Jim
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks for posting, JT. The scariest thing mentioned in the article, at least to me, is a potential 150 room hotel in Coral Bay. Think I've seen that mentioned before, but I'm hoping its just someone's idea (was it proposed by the church?)and not actually in any approved plan. Coral Bay will continue to develop, but I would hope that people will have the good sense to promote higher quality smaller developments rather than something this massive.
---Jim