sweet plantains menu? and Mosquito bites

Travel discussion for St. John
sueoz

sweet plantains menu? and Mosquito bites

Post by sueoz »

Hi - we are headed back to Coral Bay in March and I've been reading about changes since we were there last plus restaurants we missed. We never got to Sweet Plantains and I wondered if there was a menu online. I tried to find one but no luck. If not - what type of food and what price range?

Also have read a little about Mosquito Bites. Sounds like something we will like. Does anyone know if they have sandwiches to go for our daily beach picnic?
We were planning to make our own as we couldn't find someplace convenient last time but this would be great.
Thanks, sue
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Sweet Plantains has a website:

http://www.sweetplantains-stjohn.com

Not sure about Mosquito Bites.
budman

Post by budman »

Sueoz,

We have eaten there on our last three trips. I don't usually cook with or order curry dishes out, but the first time there I ordered a spicy curry chicken dish and I was hooked. I get plantains, rice and beans and I don't know what else, all I know is that I like it all!! We tried the spicy wings appetiser on our first trip and they were awesome and very spicy HOT from the scotch bonnetts. We got them again this year and they were tamed down a bit, I asked the owner about the "lesser" heat and he said that they had to mellow it out a bit for most folks. Bring on the heat I say!! They still had the awsome flavor. Great wine and Rum and the atmosphere is perfect. Try it you'll like it!
mfaughey

Post by mfaughey »

On-StJohn had a piece on Mosquito Bites recently.. I had a breakfast there and it was great, dont know if they have a website though...

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2007/10/05/on- ... ito-bites/
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Mosquito bites is definitely on our to do list. All I know is that I heard "orange cake" on the video & full breakfast (which will please the hubby).

I don't think they are open for dinner but I could be wrong. I'll know soon....
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I forget, can you sit down at MBites or is it take away?
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Mosquito Bites has one table inside, but you can use any of about a half dozen tables on the Cocoloba porch outside (much better ambiance anyway). They close at 5PM but usually have some kind of dinner offering every afternoon and you can get it packed to go. The turkey dinner with stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn soufle, homemade rolls and apple/cranberry cobbler on Sunday afternoons is to die for. A real home-cooked meal and there is enough for plenty of leftovers.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

They do make sandwiches to go for lunch and offer great desserts too!
sueoz

thanks and a question

Post by sueoz »

Hi all - thanks so much for the info. Mosquito bites sounds like it will fill a big gap!!

I looked at Sweet Platains website and the menu sounds wonderful. Anyone give me a price range. They did not list prices. Similar to Miss Lucy's? Or a step higher? Thanks again.
sue
RickG

Post by RickG »

Sweet Plantains is in the $20-$30 entree range; dinner for two with wine, dessert and tip was about $130. I enjoyed the food there, the wine selection was good and the ambiance is very nice. It's more adventurous than Shipwreck Landing without necessarily being better.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Even though we got there fairly late in the day, Mosquito Bites had a nice selection of salads... pasta, veggie, fruit, potato, etc. The owner was baking fresh bread & rolls for the next day and it looked like they could whip up an awesome sandwich. I believe everything is "to go", but you can definitely grab a table and eat there, if you like. The fruit salad was soooo good!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:31 pm.