California Girl - You're in our thoughts and prayers

Travel discussion for St. John
FlaGeorge

California Girl - You're in our thoughts and prayers

Post by FlaGeorge »

You and everyone else in Southern California remain in our hopes and prayers that you are not in harms way due to the awful fires that are ravaging your area. Please let us know how you're doing. God bless.

FlaGeorge & FlaSteph
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Pia

Post by Pia »

Please, everyone be safe - and all of our CA "family" please check in with us.

Pia
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Take care I hope all is well you are in my prayers
Tom
naturegirl

Post by naturegirl »

You have another prayer coming to you from NJ. Let us know how things are going.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hi everyone, thanks for thinking of us out here in California. I can only speak for myself regarding our immediate situation, which is ok. San Juan Capistrano (where I live) is positioned almost directly in the middle between L.A. and San Diego, and inland from the coast about 3 miles. We have the same terrain you've seen burning on TV. I was glued to the TV last night keeping an eye on the Santiago fire, which is about 15 - 20 miles north of us, but at this point I don't think we have to worry. The winds have been the worst culprit of this entire thing and anything can happen as they whip in every direction. Not only are the winds blowing the fires, but in true Santa Ana tradition, dirt is also blowing. Powder fine dirt, mixed with ash, and it covers EVERYTHING! I'll be changing the air filter in my car as soon as all this is over.

As this morning dawns, the winds (at least in my area) seem to be calming down considerably. They were gusting up to 60 - 80 mph in places yesterday and with only 6% humidity, everything's fair game to catch on fire. I keep asking nothintolose to send us some of the rain that's flooding New Orleans! They're under water and we're becoming one big ash! What's wrong with this picture??

Thanks again for your concern... I'll keep you posted!

~ Margo

Here are a couple of pictures I took off TV last night. The first one is someone's back yard up in Canyon Country (north of L.A.) and the second one is out of focus, but it's an air tanker dropping fire retardant.

Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

This morning as I was watching the news I was wondering if anybody from Southern California is in STJ right now? And what would you do if your house was under threat of burning down while you were in STJ?
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

CG,
I actually though of you when I saw this on the news. It is good to hear you are OK. I hope that they get it under control. Another prayer coming from WI.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

CA Girl, Im so glad you are OK. Please be careful. I hope you don't have to evacuate. Brings back memories of Katrina and worrying about my family in that area.
jbr

Post by jbr »

CA Girl, glad to hear you are not in imminent danger. My daughter is at San Diego State so I am keeping a close look on the fire developments.

Northern CA thinking postive thoughts for our Southern friends.

jbr
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Just got off the phone with someone that I know in San Diego and they said that the fire is so bad about 15 miles north of the city – that it’s going to burn all the way to the coast.

I think I’d rather put up with hurricanes. Stay safe everyone.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
California Girl

As of this morning over 270,000 people have been evacuated from areas in San Diego. Over 10,000 people are being sheltered at Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego Padres & Chargers). I hope San Diego has taken a lesson from the Superdome in New Orleans and has adequate accommodations and supplies for everyone. The freeway heading north past my house has been very packed for the past couple of days as people escape San Diego County (I'm on the county line). My boss's sister and her family have been evacuated from Lake Arrowhead in the San Bernardino mountains, and it's pretty sure she doesn't have a house any more.

For current local updates you can go here: http://ktla.trb.com/ or here: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/index.html
Last edited by California Girl on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Hey Margo,

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you and yours stay safe.

Sydney
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Margo and others,
You have prayers coming from here in Kentucky too. I hope that everything is under control soon and that you stay safe.
Image[/url]
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Those pictures are stunning and frightening! I'm doing a rain dance for you right now.

I was at La Costa in Carlsbad CA (about 30 miles north of San Diego) a few weeks ago for a conference and brought DH and the kids. We loved it and found the area to be so beautiful. How sad to see this widespread destruction. (Is the Torrey Pines Reserve threatened?)

My heart goes out to all the people affected.

Stay well.
California Girl

chicagoans wrote: I was at La Costa in Carlsbad CA (about 30 miles north of San Diego) a few weeks ago for a conference and brought DH and the kids. We loved it and found the area to be so beautiful.

Carlsbad is pretty close to the fires. They say the Witch fire will most likely burn itself out when it hits the sea in Del Mar. SoCalTraveler lives in Carlsbad, I think I should check on her to see that she and her family are ok.

How sad to see this widespread destruction. (Is the Torrey Pines Reserve threatened?)

I haven't heard anything about Torrey Pines, but I'll see what the latest is and let you know.

Thanks to everyone for your concern! I am one of the lucky ones at this point as we are not threatened.