Bug Patches

Travel discussion for St. John
daffy2

Bug Patches

Post by daffy2 »

Loved Liam's Aunts pictures and trip reports. She mentions bug patches she bought at St. John's Spice. Can someone tell me more about these?
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

Wellll......our "scientific" test of ONE, yielded no beneficial results in August. That said, others swear by them!

My wife just swore AT them.

I'll add that as long as I stayed next to her, the mosquitos left me pretty much alone!

SteveO.
daffy2

Post by daffy2 »

With what the weather has been looking like lately it seems like next week we are going to need all the help we can get.

Are the patches natural? What's in them?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

daffy...we were there in May during "the great mosquito storm" and I can recommend that one of the first things you buy is one of those battery-operated mosquito zapper racquets. If nothing else, be sure to take it in the car with you because the mosquitos get in the car when you do. St. John Spice in Cruz Bay and Love City Mini Mart in Coral Bay had them when I was there.
daffy2

Post by daffy2 »

What is a "Mosquito Zapper Raquet"? :o

It sounds too funny! How does it work? Does it attract mosquitoes or do you have to swat at them like a fly swatter? I'm clueless but intriqued!!!!
California Girl

Oh Daffy... the mosquito zapper racquet is a most useful and fun thing! It's like a small tennis racquet, only instead of strings, it has electric zapper wires and 2 AA batteries in the handle. You can use it to swat at bugs...but it's especially effective on mosquitos! Here's a picture of the one we bought in May. It was only about $15 & I swear, it was one of the best purchases we made all week! :lol:

daffy2

Post by daffy2 »

OH MY GOD! LAUGHING!

Well now of course I have to have one of these but after a whole week together with the husband, I can see us using it as instruments of torture when we start to annoy each other!

Maybe we have to buy two!

Thanks California Girl. Totally love it!
California Girl

There's a morbid pleasure in zapping those suckers. They crackle and pop and give off a burnt bug smell. I use it for flies here at home (we live near stables) and it works great! But flies take more zappin' than skeeters do! :twisted:
debbyg

Post by debbyg »

My husband thinks Iam crazy and maybe I am. Arriving monday 10/29. wonder if I call Ruth at ST John Spice and purchase one over phone will she hold it for me til Monday eve. Does anyone know if they're open Sunday's?

Thanks Debbyg
California Girl

I'm sure she'd hold one for you. Call now and have her put it aside with your name on it, in case they're not in the store when you show up :D
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Daffy, the bug patches are a vitamin b infusion. Ruth said they work for some people, but not for everyone. I personally find them useful as one element in my multi-pronged defense against bugs. In addition to the patches we wear lots of off--we went through three cans this past trip. We have also supplemented with small amounts of deet-based products if the bugs are really bad.

I second the bug zapper racket. It is really fun and satisfying to use!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
debbyg

Post by debbyg »

Husband just got back from a pre-trip shopping trip. He found a bug zapper here at a camping store and bought it for me even though he thinks I am crazy. How nice. So now I don't have to worry about getting one at St John Spice Tuesday morn. Debbyg
California Girl

debbyg - if it's "buggy" when you're there, you'll be soooo glad you have that! Once your hubby sees you zap a few skeeters, he'll want to do it too! :lol:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:39 pm.