Advice RE: visit in November or December?

Travel discussion for St. John
DCgirl

Advice RE: visit in November or December?

Post by DCgirl »

Hi all--our first ever trip to St. John was for a week in fall 2001 and we're thinking that 2007 may finally be the year to revisit our favorite island! Some of the things we especially liked about that first visit in mid-October were the lower off-season prices and how uncrowded the island felt but, of course, the downside was that many restuarants were closed.

We're currently considering either the first 2 weeks of November '07 or the first 2 weeks of December '07 for our return trip, but were wondering how busy the island generally is at either of these times? Any opinions on the better month to visit? Also, are either of these timeframes significantly busier than October?

Any other thoughts/advice about Nov or Dec weather, water conditions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
cat

Post by cat »

My personal favorite is late June! It doesn't get dark so early!
Bill in Va

Late Nov early Dec visit

Post by Bill in Va »

Hey there...We have been going to St John since 1991. Most have been in this time frame. Like it because the Thanksgiving folk have left and the Christmas folk haven't arrived. Still in the low price season. Most of the villas go up in price on the 15th of Dec. All the stuff is open and the beaches are not as crowded and the water is still warm. Our two trips in Feb and March were great except the water temp was a few degees cooler. The only negative is the daylight time is short. We head back on the 25th of Nov. Trip #13. Direct flght from Dulles to St Thomas is also nice for us and you...Beleive it or not we are planning our trip for next year already. Yep it will be the Sat after Thanksgiving for hopefully 3 weeks!!! Any questions please email me. We live about 50 minutes from you near Warrenton..God bless...Bill
rody

nov/dec visit

Post by rody »

i think early dec is a great time to go to st. john....you have the advantage of rates still lower ( they'll jump up 12/15 ), not yet too crowded and all the restaurants/shops are open !! i just returned last week having spent 10 days and although i enjoyed this quiet time, i did miss some of my favorite places that were closed. we'll be returning early april so i'll get my "fix" then !! when it's "high" season things can get a bit crazy , esp. in cruz bay , fighting over parking and seating for dinner !!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Either month is a good time to go, for the reasons you mentioned. Historically, though, November is rainier than December. Plus, early November is the tail end of hurricane season, so that is a slight additional risk. If early December works for your schedule, that is a great time to go.
---Jim
Flotsam

STJ in Nov, Dec

Post by Flotsam »

My wife and I like to visit during the fall or early winter months, for all of the reasons noted above - prices, no crowds, everybody isn't burned out by an entire season of tourists (yet), etc. Regarding the weather from month to month, some great data can be found at http://www.vinow.com/usvi/weather.php] (forgive the link to another forum :roll:)

Bottom line, it's a great time to visit.
Age brings wisdom. Or, age arrives alone, you never know.