Buying fish from charter captians

Travel discussion for St. John
Mudhark

Buying fish from charter captians

Post by Mudhark »

Hiya!!

My wife and I will be leaving for St. John in 10 DAYS!!!

I have a question. Is it possible to purchase fish from charter captians when they come back from trips? We are staying in a villa, and am just wondering if I should look to this option, rather than go to starfish or another market for fresh Mahi for lunches.

If it's possible, where to go? Cruz Bay? ferry to Red Hook? Maybe I should contact the captians ahead of time?
AquaGirl

Buying fresh fish

Post by AquaGirl »

We were on STJ in May and were told you can buy fish directly from a fisherman in Coral Bay. We saw someone cutting up a huge fresh fish on the Coral Bay waterfront - seems like it was somewhat near Crabby's but I can't remember exactly where we saw him. It was somewhere along that road on the way to Salt Pond.
You could check with the man who runs Crabby's - really nice guy and I am sure he would know if someone sells fish around there.
StJohnRuth

Fresh Fish

Post by StJohnRuth »

You can hang out at Cap's Place in the early afternoon. Let someone there know you're interested in fish and they'll probably be able to help you.
-Ruth
bert

Post by bert »

It's probably best not to eat the local fish. Many of the reef fish contain parasites that can make you very sick. Some of the West Indians say they have built up an immunity although others claim it's not so. It's okay to stick with wahoo, mahi or grouper, or anything you are served in a restaurant.

peace.... bert
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

I claim it's not so, as well as the USDA! The toxins build up in your body from all fish. When your body has enough, after constant intake of fish, you get sick. That is the simple explanation, I hope.

It's often showed when many eat from the same fish and maybe only one gets sick. The toxin is in the fish's bones and closer to the head. So eating a filet of fish is best, where locals eat the complete fish they are more apt to poison!

I had it once, and the very next week, a gentleman came from the USDA came and explained the whole thing to our Rotary Club. It takes about 6 months for all the toxins to leave your body. Then you can eat fish again if you so dare. He told me even if you eat a fish from Lake Reno, it could trigger another reaction, if you have not gone the six months! Reef fishes in the tropical areas do hold the most toxins.

He said they take back about 800 pounds of fish every year for research and with all that fish they can hardly find enough toxins to put on a microscope slide for inspection! That's how small the toxin is.
I don't think that eating any of those fish caught locally will affect anyone as a first timer.
RL 8)
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

D**n, I hope you're right Dr Ronnie!!!!
bert

Post by bert »

Hey Ron,

I do not eat it, and many of the chefs on island will not serve it. This is from the USDA:

Seafood Toxins
Toxins can be produced by naturally occurring marine algae and can accumulate in fish and shellfish that inhabit the same marine environment. Unlike bacteria and parasites, toxins are not destroyed by cooking. There are five recognized fish poisoning syndromes in the United States caused by marine species consuming toxic algae: ciguatera fish poisoning (CFP), paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP), neurotoxic shellfish poisoning (NSP), diarrhetic shellfish poisoning (DSP), and amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP). To reduce potential health risks, purchase seafood from reputable sources, handle it properly, and exercise caution when eating fish and shellfish that you've caught in unfamiliar waters.

Anything you purchase from a licensed seafood market or from a restaurant is probably safe, but I do not buy the fresh caught fish from the waterfront.

peace.... bert
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

Ciguatera is the common one in this area. I rememebr years ago a business called The Fishery here in St Thomas, that imported all of their fish, had a disclaimer all over there walls about getting ciguatera.

You are being careful, it's no problem.

RL 8)
daves

Post by daves »

bert wrote:It's probably best not to eat the local fish. Many of the reef fish contain parasites that can make you very sick. Some of the West Indians say they have built up an immunity although others claim it's not so. It's okay to stick with wahoo, mahi or grouper, or anything you are served in a restaurant.

peace.... bert
I would consider wahoo and mahi local fish. They are quite common in the USVI/BVI. You won't catch them off the beach but the original poster was asking about buying from charter captains.

I don't know how much luck you would have but I would not be afraid to eat those fish. They are likely only a couple hours old and probably quite a bit fresher than anything in the grocery store.

-Dave
bert

Post by bert »

Yes, wahoo, mahi or grouper are local fish AND they are considered safe. Go for it, man. It's your vacation.

peace.... bert

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:19 am.