Which condo?

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Which condo?

Post by Coden »

Okay, so a possible trip in May for just Hubby and I. If this works out I think we'll be looking at a 1 bdr condo w/a full kitchen. So here is my question:

Which ones should we look at?

And as far as I know we don't care where on the island it is. We'll be in Coral Bay in December, and after driving back and forth from there, I think we are good to go anywhere on the island. Ha! And we will have a vehicle.

We like intimate and down home versus flashy. And we are satisfied with most places as long as it is clean.

Or, if not a condo, then a really, really small villa. :)

I love planning vacations!!! :D

Thnx!!
Coden
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

A couple of years ago we stayed at Gardenia (through Cloud 9 villas). It's a studio apartment on the bottom level of a house. Very clean, plenty big for the 2 of us, and the kitchen was well stocked. There is no view of the water though, just a lovely garden. There is a hot tub, for Gardenia guests, which is very secluded from the upstairs tenants. You can find it at www.cloud9villas.com. Oh! And the price is excellent - less than $700 for the week in the off season!
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thank you, canucknyc! I've just started my list with your suggestion. The price sure is in our range! Once I get a few more I'll show my husband and see what his thoughts are on this May trip. He's pretty good to go most times when I suggest something, so hopefully he will be for this as well.

Thanks again!
Coden
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I've never stayed there, but I've heard nothing but good things about Estate Lindholm. Maybe someone else could provide details for you?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

havent' stayed there either but Estate Lindholm is right next door to Asolare. It looks like they are adding another building on the property and I'm not sure but they could be closed during construction. You might want to check on when that will be completed.

We are thinking maybe we will go to Gallows next time for a shorter stay.
papabou

villa for 2

Post by papabou »

coden,

the bride and i stayed at moonsong dec 04 and loved her. she's one of the cloud 9 villa's that also own gardenia (we stayed there first night since moonsong not available on arrival date).

web photo's of moonsong do her justice, great sunset and st thomas light views, you can hear surf from hart bay and less that 10 minute walk down path to great snorkeling at hart. she's close in but very private & 2 person rate is very competitive with 1 br condo/villa and have benefit of second br if you or spouse snores!

papabou
isla_jen

Post by isla_jen »

We stayed at Estate Lindholm at the beginning (2 days) and the end (1 day) of our trip in 2005. It was very, very nice. Clean rooms, great views and very peaceful. Lauren was very friendly and helpful.

It is my understanding that with the new buildings they are moving to a less family, more couple environment-which is how I thought of them anyways.

They have a breakfast every morning which is nice-nothing spectacular. The setting with the lush landscaping and all the birds flitting around is very nice. They have an honor bar-well stocked-that is available 24/7.

The rates can be high, but in May the off season will be much better. You are pretty close to the Salomon/Honeymoon trail too-nice hike.

~Jen
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks to all of you!! My list is growing with your great suggestions. I'm sure there are so many wonderful places we could pick. The Moon Song, close to snorkeling, sounds extra inviting. I can walk 10 mins!

Thanks again!! :)
Coden
hawksnestbay

Daffodil Villa

Post by hawksnestbay »

My Daughter stayed here in July on her honeymoon, and it had the best view in Fish Bay. Inground Pool, and very private. Off Season rate for 2 is $2100.

Kathy McGlaughlin @Island Getaways was very friendly and efficient. Here is the Link-
http://www.islandgetawaysinc.com/daffoldilvilla.html
ATG

How about Lavendar Hill

Post by ATG »

We are staying at Lavendar Hill in November, 1 bedroom condo w/full kitchen. Used to stay at Gallows (across the street), but they got reaaaallllly expensive, so we thought we would try Lavendar. I'll try to post a review when we get back.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

very interested to hear about Lavender. I was just looking at that web site!
Coden

Post by Coden »

Hawksnestbay - that is a beautiful place! A little pricey for just the 2 of us for a runaway timeframe though. But definately on our list for another time. Thnx!!

ATG - Which agency has Lavendar Hill listed?
Coden
rody

villa/condo

Post by rody »

Honeymoon Cottage is a lovely place , perfect for 2 !! it's a walk to Francis Bay and very private. has a great outdoor shower and hot tub. about 15+ to cruz bay but the drive is wonderfull. check this site : www.stjohnusvi.org -- the owner lives on island and she is very helpfull and friendly to work with !! another option is Carnival Beach House...klein bay, right on the water, not a sandy beach but a beautiful spot with some great snorkeling ! owners live on property but do keep to themselves , the pool ( which is very nice ) is yours alone to enjoy !! www.caribbeanvilla.com -- good luck !!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hi Coden,

A couple other ideas for you (none of which I have stayed at, they are just off my endless spreadsheet so...):

If you like the East End, what about Estate Zootenvaal? I don't know if you need ac or not?

http://www.estatezootenvaal.com

If you want to be closer to Cruz Bay, I can tell you that my aunt and uncle used to own a time share at Coconut Coast, and they liked it very much. It is simple, but very convenient. Studios are around $200/night when you are there.

http://coconutcoast.com

Finally, off Francis Bay, have you looked at Honeymoon Cottage?

http://www.stjohnusvi.org/honeymooncottage.htm

I don't know you what you are looking to spend, so maybe these are not good suggestions. I hope you find something wonderful for your trip!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
promoguy

Lavender Hill Estate

Post by promoguy »

We have for years stayed at Lavender, but switched to Gallows because of the construction (due to the pounding of rock). That isn't an issue anymore.

Lavender is quite nice and you won't be disappointed. Nice views.