Taxi Service

Travel discussion for St. John
Mark

Taxi Service

Post by Mark »

Tried to schedule East End Taxi to get to Red Hook but their response was "because of legal proceedure we have temporarly suspended our ground txn. service from the airport". I guess the non-sense is still on going.My qusetion is can you reserve a taxi ahead of time (if so links to services will be helpful)or do we just have to get one at time of arrival? If anyone can help I would appriciate the help.Thanks
JT

Post by JT »

Mark, from my experience there is no need to reserve a taxi, and from what I've heard on this board,even if you do it seems that it doesn't always end up being a private taxi anyway. There are always about as many taxi drivers as passengers waiting outside the airport.Also if your timing is good, don't discount taking the C.A. ferry instead of Red Hook. It's a 10 minute ride from the airport to the ferry and then about a 35 minute ferry ride. Red Hook is a 45 minute taxi ride and a 10 minute ferry ride. Price works out the same. The only reason not to do the CA ferry would be if your timing is bad, or the weather/seas are bad, which is infrequent. Just m.h.o.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I've used Wheatley's taxi service in the past when connections were tight and we could not afford stops at the resorts on the way: 340 473 8900.

The USVI Taxi Assocition gets pretty intense about private taxis. In order to get around their procedures we had to prepay the taxi.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Mark

Post by Mark »

We dont mind getting a taxi when we arrive. Last time we went(March 06) we used East End Taxi it was $40.00 per person round trip and we did not have to share the van. Also the same driver was waiting for us at Red Hook for the ride back to the Airport.We saw how busy it gets when the ferry arrives and it was nice not having to secure a ride with all the people there.
jac w

Post by jac w »

We used Christopher's Taxi and they were great (even though our plane landed about an hour late - homeland security drill at Newark Airport).