Another New Guy to the Forum

Travel discussion for St. John
17th Hole

Another New Guy to the Forum

Post by 17th Hole »

Hello all! I finally joined the forum after lurking for awhile. It's so great to read everyone's posts and experiences about SJ. We've only been there once about 9 years ago, but have been dying to get back since the day we left. We're a (fairly) young couple with two young kids (6 and 3) so extended trips are few and far between.

My wife and I got married in Grand Cayman 10 years ago next year (April 27, 2008), and for our 10 year anniversary, I'm surprising her by taking her to the one place she loved more than any other, St. John. We've been to quite a few islands in the Caribbean (before the kids) and St. John has consistently been the island that the others were compared (and lost) against. Even though I've only been there once, I "get it" and I really miss it. So that's why were going back. To "get it back"!

Anyway, we're going April 30-May 10, 2008 and we're staying at Allesandra. From what I've read from a few that have stayed there, it sure sounds perfect for us (thanks MrB & MrsB, waterguy and Jan&MikeVA). If anyone is going to be there at that time, we wouldn't mind putting some faces to names (screen names anyway). Beach Bar anyone?

Also, a quick question for the forum: I have a digital SLR (Canon digital Rebel XTi) and would like to take some underwater pix with it when we're there. I've found an underwater case for it but it's a couple of hundred bucks that I'd rather not spend on something that may not get a whole lot of use off-island (we live in Ohio). Is there a place on St. John that I could rent an underwater case from?

Thanks everyone!
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Welcome, 17th hole! Have a wonderful trip in April/May! I'll be arriving the day you leave so I'll waive as I'm walking in from the tarmac.
NancyB
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Welcome 17th Hole!!! We'll be on island May 6-16th. Hopefully we can meet up with y'all & anyone else at the Beach Bar. What a great surprise for your wife; that's awesome! Happy Anniversary (early, I know).
Anthony
Site Admin

Re: Another New Guy to the Forum

Post by Anthony »

17th Hole wrote:Is there a place on St. John that I could rent an underwater case from?
Hmm - that is an interesting question - sort of gives me an idea for a small business. I don't think there is a place that rents this kind of stuff - but there should be!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Welcome to the board. We might be there on the tail end of your trip, first full day May 4. Were from Ohio too, just down the road off 33 town named Bellefontaine. GO BUCKS !!!
Piano girl or nancyb what am I doing wrong with my ticker? Just relized it was wrong, yours has until mine has since can't figure out why it puts since in instead of until, time till trip is wrong also. Am I missing something on their web page.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I can't help with your question but welcome to the group. that sounds like a fantastic anniversary present!
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

Thanks everyone! My wife has no idea where we're going, other than she needs at least half a bathing suit (can't have any tan lines!) and that she has my 100% iron-clad guarantee that she will not be disappointed one bit. Kids are staying with grandma, so nothing but good old fashioned island-time no-worries where-are-my-pants type fun. :twisted: 8) :shock:

NancyB - look for a couple of tan-all-over people with glazed over eyes when you get off the plane...that'll be us...or maybe some of the other people from this forum :lol:

Pianogrl - thanks! Hopefully we can meet up for a drink!

Anthony - If you do open a small business renting underwater camera gear, try to do it before next April. :wink:

cptnkirk - I have two letters for you O-H!

GO BUCKS!
Last edited by 17th Hole on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Welcome, neighbor! Sounds like a great trip.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

cptkirk
I just did my ticker. Make sure you have 2008 selected as your year of event. It seems like you may have left it at 2007.

onthelake

Post by onthelake »

Welcome !!!
[/url]
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

17th Hole,

Kirk left you hanging: I-0! (I'm from Athens.)

It sounds like you've made wonderful choices for your anniversary trip, and your wife is going to love it. Too bad I'm not going to be there then so that we could meet up at The Beach Bar.

But now that I've been there, I'm not going anywhere else, so our paths may cross eventually.
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Welcome Aboard!

I have an underwater casing for my canon, and I think the disposable underwater cameras are just good. Or maybe it's just that my camera isn't any good.

Try one!

Sydney
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Welcome in 17th hole! Your upcoming trip sounds fabulous. Your wife will be so pleasantly surprised. Just be sure to pack her one outfit (shorts and top and undies) in case you decide to go out in public :wink:
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

Lulu76,
I went to Ohio U. Say hello to everyone at The Pub for me! Best 4-1/2 years of my life...so far...I think.

We'll cross paths probably sooner than later. I'm with you as far as not going anywhere else. St. John just has everything that is good and beautiful in the world. (God, I don't think I can wait till April...must...get...toes...in...sand...now...)

Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Captn.....I think 17th hole is right: check the year; since you've gone this year it keeps referring you back to this year "since" you've been there. That's the extent of my limited knowledge about that. (My hubby is the tech guy in this house!)