30 days to St. John - Gang of 24

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

30 days to St. John - Gang of 24

Post by RickG »

Well, it's time to get ready for our biggest trip yet - or, biggest herd (moo!). We have 24 people aged 2 to 69 gearing up for Thanksgiving on St. John. Everyone in the group is related by blood or marriage with two core family groups linked by my sister and her husband. 14 people are St. John Virgins, excepting a cruise ship visit. 10 of us have stayed in a villa on island once or more before. This is my 10th or so trip and my Sweet Christine's 8th or 9th trip. I'm pretty excited, so I'm going to channel that energy into TooMuchInformation here.

This trip has been 2 years in the planning. How do you get 24 people booked and moving in the same direction? Well, I announced I was going and told everyone to come along and make their own reservations. I got one villa, my sister's family got a second villa, and a gang of newbies got the third villa.

How do you get three houses right next to each other so that you can spend every waking hour together? Gee, I forgot to ask that question. With two houses on Hart Bay and one on the Great Cruz Bay hillside, we are close enough to play together to play and far enough apart for some privacy.

Detailed image: http://www.garvin.us/STJ/photos/STJ3Houses.jpg
Google Earth: http://www.garvin.us/STJ/photos/STJ3Hou ... -earth.kmz

Picking villas was pretty tough with toddlers in two houses; there are not many houses with enclosed staircases. The other criteria were price range, swimming pool, and party friendly layout. My personal pet peeve is having to walk up and down stairs between the pool and the kitchen with pitchers of blender drinks. So, I always look for a house with a pool on the same level as the kitchen. Having steps instead of a ladder in the pool is nice too. Another factor is that hard cooling breeze that blows onto the South Shore this time of year - it makes the pool chilly. It can also fling deck furniture about at 4AM. So, I look for a house with a Western exposure. Cocotier looked good to me, though we've never stayed there. I've seen Dolphin Run over the years and I like the setting. Le Lapin II shows great and is pretty new.

Cocotier through Destination St. John
http://www.destinationstjohn.com/cocotier.htm

Le Lapin II through Caribbean Villas
http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/lelapin2/lelapin2.html

Dolphin Run through Caribbean Villas
http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/lelapin/lelapin.html

Coordinating schedules is too big a problem to solve. We are arriving and leaving at different times and moving independently. I pulled together some notes that have been helpful in reducing the newbie pre-trip anxiety http://www.garvin.us/STJ/New_Visitors_G ... Guide.html. In order to get together and have fun once we're on the island I'm using the beach and happy hour method. I'll just announce what beach I'll be on each day and where I'll be for happy hour. Hey, if nobody hooks up with us at least I'll have fun! After happy hour folks can cook at home or go out to dinner, it's up to them. No mass herd feedings at restaurants.

For Thanksgiving dinner we'll likely do a pot-luck meal together. Reservations for 24 at the Fish Trap? Kill me now. Though, we had a great Thanksgiving meal there for 8 in 1997.

I'm certain we'll have a great time together. With the newbies and the kids beach time and snorkeling with frosty beverages is going to adventure enough. I'll let you know how it works out.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Got room for 2 more, Rick :)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Wow, that is quite the group! I am sure you will have a terrific trip. Be sure to tell us all about it when you are back!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Sounds wonderful to me!! I wish you the very best trip to STJ yet!!!

Oh, and thanks for all of the TooMuchInformation...I loved it!!! :lol:
Coden
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Wow, this is so cool that you get to do this! What a blast!
Just a note, if you think you might change your mind about Thanksgiving: Banana Deck does a buffet type thing some years that might work for your group. Not sure what they're planning this year, but you could call them and ask for Kristin or Doug. 340-693-5055.
-Ruth
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
RickG

Post by RickG »

mary beth wrote:Got room for 2 more, Rick :)
Also room for more! You might find this trip a bit more crazy than you honeymoon!

Cheers, RickG
RickG

Post by RickG »

StJohnRuth wrote:Wow, this is so cool that you get to do this! What a blast!
Just a note, if you think you might change your mind about Thanksgiving: Banana Deck does a buffet type thing some years that might work for your group. Not sure what they're planning this year, but you could call them and ask for Kristin or Doug. 340-693-5055.
-Ruth
Thanks for the hint. There is a buffet loving contingent on this trip. When we go to East Coast beaches as an enormous group a buffet is about the only thing that comes close to working.

Cheers, RickG
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Sounds like so much fun!! Keep the info coming - we'll be doing something similar in May (for our wedding). So far we have 18 people, so I know I'll be devouring all of your posts to see how it went!
Amy

Post by Amy »

That sounds like a lot of fun, Rick! My brother and I have been hounding my mother into doing something similar, although we *only* have about 15 people total. Three of her four children have been to STJ multiple times and we all love it. I'm sure you'll tell us how it all went when you get back!
Mark

Post by Mark »

We will probably bump into your group we have 28 Days till the Island.I wonder how many people who visit this forum will be there for Thanksgiving? There are 4 in my party.Maybe there is a poll here?
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I have looked at Cocotier online quite a few times (just never worked for what we needed) ---looks like a great house---anxious to hear your report. I really enjoyed reading your St. John Travel Guide you posted recently for your Gang of 24---quite an effort!
---Jim
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi everyone

I haven't posted in a while as I'm on a 3 week "trip" to the States returning on Monday (anyone on a AA flight from Chicago?) and have not been able to log on for some reason until today :D

Anyway, we have 16 family members visiting also over Thanksgiving......going to be a fun time on STJ....see you all at Woody's :D
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

What an awesome adventure! I do wish that I were joining you!
I haven't found that many people willing to join me on STJ. My husband likes it, but can take it or leave it. I am dragging my kids there. I hope they like it. I may have to find some new friends on this board to meet in STJ.
Have a great time on your trip. I can't wait to hear a trip report!
RickG

Post by RickG »

sea-nile, I brought my kids to St. John for the first time when they were quite young. One of the reasons we have the kind of group coming with us are the stories and art work they've produced over the years. The island made quite an impression. It's a great spot for kids.

Cheers, RickG