fish bay area

Travel discussion for St. John
jimbob

fish bay area

Post by jimbob »

Have rented a villa in the Fish Bay area and was wondering if there were any hiking trails (paths) that could lead you to Hart/Monte/Klein/Fish or Reef Bay(s)? Also, any of these bays worth time to snorkle? I have not read much on any of these locations, but just looking for a little exercise walking with some sand to lay on to take a nap before I walk back to the villa. This forum is great and will post a report when we get back (end of November).
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

For Klein Bay, there is actually a small parking area (two or three cars). I don't have feet, fins, and four wheel drive here with me, but there are explicit directions on how to get there in that book. The snorkeling can be good there, though the beach is rocky (water shoes will help). Last trip Klein was pretty rough, though we did see a turtle.

We once stayed at a villa on Hart Bay that had a private path to the beach. The snorkeling is supposed to be good there, but the current was way too strong the entire time we were there. We tried it a few times, but felt really uncomfortable, so called the snorkel off. Plus, there are LOTS of urchins at Hart Bay. Be careful getting in and out of the water!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Mango

Post by Mango »

It's really worth getting a guide book or two. Both Feet,Fins,Four-wheel Drive, & St.John Off The Beaten Path are excellent. Detailed info on all aspects of STJ. They are both available through this site.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

"Off The Beaten Path" gives detailed directions on how to find the path down to Reef Bay. As I recall, it involves finding a brown, shingled house at the end of the road on the Reef Bay side of Cocoloba point (I think that's its name). As you are facing the house, there is a rope attached to a telephone pole on the right. (I'm not making this up.) The rope comes in handy, as the first part of the trail is steep. After that first part, its pretty level and a piece of cake. The trail opens onto Reef Bay, which is stunning. To me, it's a must see/do.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
RickG

Post by RickG »

Gerald Singer's www.stjohnbeachguide is a great resource that follows his Off The Beaten Track book. It has hiking trails and directions. I like the Ditleff point walk and the beach on the West side of the point is pretty good. The snorkel barges from St. Thomas come here when the North Shore is getting a swell.

http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Beaches/ditleff.html

The walk down to and along Reef Bay is fun. It's listed as Parrot Bay on stjohnbeachguide.com http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Beaches/parrot.html

The rest of the bays with straight southern exposure can get pretty wave tossed. Combine that with the cobble stone entry and you're talking about a belly full of sea urching. That being said, when things are calm I REALLY like snorkeling Hart Bay. The grooves and channels provide a lot of overhangs with interesting critters.

For hiking, there are some new listings in Off The Beaten Track. The Great Seiban Road trail connects Fish Bay and the L'Esperance Trail. That looks like a lot of fun. I'll report back on that once I've had a chance to give it a try. http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Trails/LEsperance.html

Cheers, RickG[/url]
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
2catlimit

Post by 2catlimit »

Check out this site. This guy has personally mapped the trails of St John.

http://www.trailbandit.org/index.htm

...:::| TRAIL BANDIT . ORG |:::...
Kathy Henion