iPod question

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
nothintolose

iPod question

Post by nothintolose »

Okay - need some techie type help here for anyone that knows iPods.

I just bought a Nano. I have an old version of the big one that holds like 2,500 songs that I have been using.

My inent was to put my favorites from my library on the Nano and leave the other one on it's docking station in my kitchen.

When I tried to use the new one, the songs under the Nano are grey and I can't do anything with them. I tried doing the sync but still can't do anything with them.

With my old one, I was able to drag songs from my library on my computer into the spot that said "music" and they would show up in bold black instead of grey that I can't click on. The only thing that the new one will let me do is move stuff into playlists.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong????

Also, is it possible to use both iPods with one computer?

Thanks in advance,
nothintolose
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Does your Nano hold as many songs as your old one? Maybe too many songs in your library are checked for what your Nano will hold. Try unchecking some of them before you sync. I don't know if this will work, it's only a guess. I'm not sure you can use both iPods on the same computer.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

With the Mac version of iTunes, you can definitely use more then one iPod on a computer.

I've had up to 3; and just had to be sure to give each a different name. As soon as I plug them in, the name comes up. For the bigger one (20gb?), it is set to automatically sync; but for the shuffle, I drag and drop.

Try setting the new one up to not sync automatically - maybe it is a space issue.
janet
byado18

Post by byado18 »

You can have 2 Ipods on the same computer if they are named differently..... There are also some functionality issues between version 1.1 and 1.12...... and some people are not happy with the newest version of iTunes. If you have 1.12 and having issues there is a way to return to 1.1 (PM me and I will send you the link info if you think that is the problem.)

Also, I found that I had to "authorize" the computer to sync and download to the new iPod........ & then there are the glitches with "Vista"...I have to use my laptop with XP to download songs since the Vista on my PC will not let it connect to the network.

Good luck.......:-)
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Thanks everyone - gonna try all of this.

One question, how do you change your iPod name so they are named differently? Can you change it after it's already done?

nothintolose
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

nothintolose are you on a pc or mac? Have you solved the problem?
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Anthony - I am on a pc - have only temporarily solved it but need more info.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

One of the things I was thinking it could be is the file type. Your new iPod may only play Apple's AAC encoded files for instance - it might be having problems with some mp3s, mp4s and especially wmv and aiff files, etc. You should check the file type on some of the songs that don't seem to be copying over correctly. I think if you just highlight a song in iTunes you can view info on it - not sure exactly on the PC but I know it is possible.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Anthony,

Would that be the case if 98% of the songs in my iTunes are actually copied from my own cds?
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

nothintolose wrote:Anthony,

Would that be the case if 98% of the songs in my iTunes are actually copied from my own cds?
I have 5 different iPods on one PC using MS XP and have a few thoughts:
- I can't imagine any new iPods not being able to play MP3s
- Ripping your own CDs most likely created MP3s
- I think the newest version of iTunes for PCs is 7.5
- songs purchased on iTunes are protected AAC files (*.m4P) and can be shared on two (2) PCs (max) but multiple iPods for each PC
- to see a song's info, highlight it (like Anthony said), right click and select "Get Info"

This info doesn't necessarily solve your problem but I hope it helps.

I'm using my 2 iPods like you: an older 20 Gb (U2 version) that stays in the docking station in the house that has my entire library and a nano (? Gb) that I use for travel, tailgating or in the car.

Good luck.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

nothintolose wrote:Would that be the case if 98% of the songs in my iTunes are actually copied from my own cds?
I am not sure what will/won't play on your iPod - if you ripped them yourself, what format are they in? This could be part of the issue -