Private taxi vs public

Travel discussion for St. John
Joanne M

Private taxi vs public

Post by Joanne M »

Is it worth the extra money to pay for a private taxi to the Red Hook Ferry?

13 more days till we are in paradise.
Diane

Post by Diane »

I'm not sure how much a private taxi is, but we paid $13/person (bags included) from the airport to Red Hook in a large van/taxi. It filled quickly and the driver "stepped on it" and got us to Red Hook in time to catch the ferry (they leave on the hour) so that we didn't have to wait another hour for the next one.
I would be willing to pay more for my own taxi from Red Hook back to the airport if we were cutting it close to make the flight back home.
mia

Post by mia »

I think I recall reading a while back that private taxis were no longer allowed to pick up fares from the STT airport....is this true? Maybe they resolved whatever issues there may have been :? I know that personally I would much prefer a private taxi, especially to Red Hook....mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We are fine with just using a regular taxi but the rest of my family would prefer the private taxi.

On their first time down (our second), they were freaked out about getting to the ferry on time (not realizing another would come). I tried to explain to them that it would all fall together and not to worry - just get on island time, but they were still stressed (granted we had about 17 in our party and only two of us had been there before).

Lisa, with Vacation Vistas, recommended Basil's Taxi Service for the return trip, and they all loved him. They said they would go that route the next time to make it easier on them.

We continue to just take the regular taxis.

nothintolose

p.s. one thing alot of people seemed to get freaked out about is seeing the ferry workers throwing their bags onto the ferry and leaving them all on the back of the ferry. No worries...they will be fine :)