for those of you that care about this sort of thing

Travel discussion for St. John
wontongirl

for those of you that care about this sort of thing

Post by wontongirl »

I just found coco lopez in a resealable little jug. Gotta like that! I never use much and hate that it was in tin can. It was in a white jug at Kroger. Painkillers just got even easier!
Coden

Post by Coden »

Oh-oh, I'm in trouble now!! I'll check my local Kroger the next time I go. Yum!! Thanks for the heads-up!!

Oh, and I too hated the metal can. Yuck!
Coden
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Whenever I open a can of Coco Lopez, I pour the balance of it into my little Tupperware syrup thingie... only I took the little removable spout off. It keeps very well and you can pour it out of the top, or take the top off entirely and spoon it out :)

P.S. I don't think we have Krogers in Calif.
Last edited by California Girl on Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

This is great! I'm going to Kroger's today. I will add it to my list:) Thanks!!
Diane

Post by Diane »

Any of you care to share your recipe?
TIA
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

Weird!! My wife is making the Fish Trap Coconut cake today and it calls for Coco Lopez. I wen to the market and got "Coco Real" (same ingredients as Coco Lopez) in a plastic bottle, came home and read this thread.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
California Girl

Well, I don't have any special drink recipes to share, but I'd sure like to have that Coconut Cake recipe!!
jmq

Post by jmq »

I recently came across this in my VI file...includes many uses for Coco Lopez.

Woody’s Killer Cocktails

Bahama Mama
1.25 oz Kahlua 1.25 oz Malibu Rum splash Coco Lopez equal parts of pineapple and orange

Blue Motorcycle
1.25 oz Cruzan Dark Rum - 1.25 oz Malibu Rum .75 oz Blue Curacao fill with pineapple

Painkiller
1 to 4 oz Pussers navy Rum - splash Coco Lopez
equal parts pineapple and orange - garnish with ground nutmeg

Rum Punch
.75 oz Cruzan Dark Rum .75 Cruzan Light Rum orange juice and splash of Grenadine
float .5oz Myers Rum

Sex on da' Beach
1.25 oz Peach Schnapps - 1.25 Vodka 1 oz Chambord fill with cranberry

Surfer on Acid 1.5 oz Jeagermeister 1.5 oz Malibu Rum fill with pineapple

Woody's Frozen Masterpieces

BBC 1.5oz Baileys 1oz spiced rum 1 banana splash of Coco Lopez
stick it in a blender and whip it up!

Bushwacker
.5oz Baileys - .5oz Kahlua - .5oz Malibu Rum .5oz Amaretto - .5oz Vodka - ice and blend

Delicious Daiquiris
1.5 oz Cruzan Dark Rum 1.5 oz Sweet and Sour - favorite fruit ice and blend

Limin' Coconut
1.5 oz Cruzan Dark Rum - 1.5 oz Malibu rum splash Coco Lopez 1/4 lime (rind and all) ice and blend

Massive Margaritas
1.5 oz Cuervo Tequila 1.5 oz Triple Sec
same for Sweet and Sour - add fruit or Curacao ice and blend or shake

Pina Colada
1.5 oz Cruzan Dark Rum - 1.5 oz Triple Sec same for Sweet and Sour - splash of Coco Lopez ice and blend

Strawberry Shortcake
1 oz Absolute Vodka 1oz Bailey Irish Cream add berries, ice and blend
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

California Girl wrote:Well, I don't have any special drink recipes to share, but I'd sure like to have that Coconut Cake recipe!!
I'll post it when I get home tonight.
Eric in NJ

wontongirl

guess what

Post by wontongirl »

It was coco real that I bought. It was where the coco lopez usually is. I've never seen another brand so I just assumed it was the same. I bet it will work just fine in my painkiller. I may have to do a test run tonight!
Eric in NJ

For California Girl

Post by Eric in NJ »

FISH TRAP - COCONUT CAKE WITH CARAMEL-RUM SAUCE
10 SERVINGS

CAKE
Vegetable oil spray
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)*
(Available in the liquor department of most supermarkets)

SAUCE
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon dark rum
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup whipping cream

FOR CAKE:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4 inch-high sides with vegetable oil spray. Using electric mixer, beat 1 cup sugar, I/2 cup butter, and vanilla and almond extracts in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Sift 1 cup flour and 1 teaspoon baking soda into medium bowl. Add to butter mixture and beat just until combined. Beat in sour cream, 3/4 cup coconut and cream of coconut. Pour cake batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons coconut. Bake until cake is golden brown and tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Transfer pan to rack and cool completely. Using small knife, cut around sides of pan. Release pan sides.

FOR SAUCE:
Combine sugar and 2 tablespoons water in heavy small sauce pan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Boil without stirring until syrup turns deep amber, brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally. Remove from heat. Carefully add 1 tablespoon rum (mixture will bubble vigorously). Return pan to heat and bring to boil. Whisk in 2 tablespoons butter. Add l/2 cup whipping cream and boil until sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat (Cake and sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead). Wrap cake tightly and store at room temperature. Refrigerate sauce. Rewarm sauce over low heat before using. Cut cake into wedges. Serve warm with carmel-rum sauce.
Eric in NJ

California Girl

Eric - Thanks so much for posting the Fish Trap Coconut Cake recipe! I'm going to make it this weekend! I think I'm gaining weight just READING the recipe! YUM!!!!
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

It's pretty darn good that's for sure. If you rave about it at the Fish Trap they bring you out the recipe that was in Bon Appetitte magazine. Good luck!
Eric in NJ