Pain Killer Cake

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
sailorgirl

Pain Killer Cake

Post by sailorgirl »

Might be interesting !

This is Walker's original recipe for an island version of the southwestern tres leches cake. This cake has no leche, but it does have mucho ron! The pineapple, coconut, rum and orange flavors combine to create a painkiller cake. This will be one of the best rum cakes that you have ever had!

Click here for more photos.

Cake ingredients:

1 package pineapple cake mix - the Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Pineapple Supreme Cake Mix or something similar works best.
1 small package Jello Coconut Cream Instant Pudding Mix -- yes, use it in addition to any pudding that might already be in the mix. If you cannot get Coconut Cream, Vanilla is almost as good.
4 eggs
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup coconut flakes
1 can (8 oz.) chunk pineapple in juice
1/2 cup rum (Pusser's preferred, but any dark rum will do).
1/2 cup Coco Lopez (cream of coconut -- not coconut milk!)
Topping:

3/4 cup rum (Pusser's preferred, but any dark rum will do).
1/4 cup Gran Marnier
1 cup Coco Lopez (cream of coconut)
Fresh orange zest
Fresh grated nutmeg
Method:

Pour the cup of pineapple juice to a saucepan. Strain the juice from the can of chunk pineapple, adding the juice to the pan. Reduce the liquid over medium-high heat until you have 1/2 cup of liquid in the pan. This intensifies the pineapple flavor.

Very lightly chop the pineapple chunks (about five quick pulses in a food processor).

Blend all of the cake ingredients and pour into a greased sheet pan. Pour the batter about 1 inch thick in the pan, so the the resulting cake will be about 2 inches thick. You do not want to make this cake very thick because you want the cake to be able to thoroughly absorb the topping. If you use a 9x9 pan and fill it only about 1/3 of the way full, you will have enough batter left over to make Painkiller Cake #1.

Bake at 350F (175C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Cake is done when it is lightly browned on top. When the cake starts brown, check for doneness with a toothpick. Poke a toothpick into the cake and pull it back out. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. Don't overcook, as you want this cake to be very moist inside.

When cake is done, remove from oven and let cool completely (about 2 hours).

Loosen cake from pan, but leave in pan.

Make topping by whipping rum, Gran Marnier, and coconut cream together until creamy.

Lightly perforate top of cake with a toothpick or fork, poking a hole about every 3/4 inch or so.

Drizzle topping very slowly over top of cake in pan. Try not to let it run over the sides. The cake will absorb the topping. Continue drizzling until all of the topping is used. You want the cake to be thoroughly soaked.

Grate a light sprinkling of orange zest over top of cake.

Grate a very light sprinkling fresh nutmeg over the top.

Cut and serve from pan. This cake is best after it soaks for four or more hours in the pan.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

OMG! I know what I'm making this weekend! That just sounds scrumptious! :D
Coden

Post by Coden »

Geez Louise...that sounds like a killer cake. I will have to make it for X-mas...I want to make it this very minute though! :lol:
Coden
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

In the interest of full disclosure, Ive not made the cake. I found the recipe on a BVI sailing forum. Can't wait to hear how it turns out YUM!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I found this recipe last week and had wanted to post - thanks for not procrastinating like me.

I'm not much of a baker, but I've got to give this one a try - seems easy enough :?

If anyone makes it, be sure to post a pic!
janet
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I made this weekend it was great I give it two thumbs up
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

waterguy wrote:I made this weekend it was great I give it two thumbs up
Great!

Now how about hooking a girl up with a slice :-)