I have another trip planned!

Travel discussion for St. John
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Mary beth I have been more of a lurker than a poster recently because we have no STJ trips planned but we will get back one of these days so I still follow this forum regularly. Last year we went to Key West and had such a good time that we are returning again this winter....we lucked out on a $1 Spirit airfare! Sounds like you have already gotten good advice but I can offer a tad more from our perspective:

John Pennekamp PArk was an underwater delight! We used Keys Divers Snorkle Tours to get out there:

www.keysdiver.com

I can tell you that the day we were out there we made 3 stops and the snorkeling rivaled what we have done in STJ...I was sooo pleasantly surprised and impressed! This year we hope to go to the Dry Tortugas so can't comment on that til after our March return.

I did find some very friendly, helpful info on a Key West travel forum:

http://p105.ezboard.com/biokw

We flew into FLL ,rented a car, drove to Key West and enjoyed the beautiful drive. We stayed outside of town last time but are going to be right at Mallory Sq this year, so walking distance to all the attractions in town. It is a fun, funky town ...sort of a FL version of the "old" New Orleans French Quarter if you have ever been there. We found some good restaurants, 915 and seven fishes inparticular for evening meals and there are tons of bars for snacks and cooling beverages...we particularly liked Pepe's.

I am working now but will check back on this thread and offer more as I remember. Marybeth I followed your BongoBongo report afterr your wedding...great work...can't wait for our turn at BB!! Congrats on the marriage and welcome to that club...going on 28 years here!
sitter

Post by sitter »

Dad always wants to go back to Hawaii, so this year, late April, I convinced him to go to the Keys.
So 8 of us flew into FLL..(it's a smaller airport than Miami & easier to get around & out of!!)then drove the great drive down to the keys. We actually stayed in Key Largo, then drove down and spent the day in Key West.
He off course didn't like it as much as Hawaii, we all LOVED the shorter plane ride & was just fine for all of us!!

That is a much better present than my husband got ME....wait, I didn't get anything!!! :(
SuefromMA

Key West

Post by SuefromMA »

Completely agree with the posts Re: Bahia Honda State Park!

We have only been to the Keys a couple of times - but, we can not urge you enough to be sure that you get to Big Pine Key and spend a little time at Bahia Honda State Park. It is absolutely gorgeous!!

We also had a very romantic & special meal at Louie's Backyard in Key West. It was recommended to us by a wonderful bed & breakfast owner on Big Pine Key. That place was called Casa Grande & I could not recommend that B&B enough either!

Have a wonderful trip! - Both of you!!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

thanks everyone for the continued great info! and Carolyn, thanks for the kind words. After 40 years it's interesting to me in the club of "marrieds". For Charlie and I life doesn't feel so different so far!

We are also flying in on Spirit to FLL and making the drive down. Will spend the first night in FLL since we get in around 7pm and don't want to make the drive in the dark.
915 is already on my list. I like the looks of it. Glad to hear your recommendation. We will surely make a reservation there.

Looking forward to this trip .. but still working on a STJ return! Stay tuned.......