Savannah?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mbw1024

Savannah?

Post by mbw1024 »

anyone have any recommendations on this town, lodging in particular? we're heading to Atlanta in April and are thinking of doing a little side trip with some friends over to Savannah.
thanks!
augie

Post by augie »

it's been a good while since I've been there, but the historic district is very nice, with a lot of parks and squares as well as a pretty cool dining/drinking area down by the river.

We stayed at an incredible B&B called Foley House, but I have no idea if it's even in existence anymore.

EDIT: it is - http://www.foleyinn.com/

Try to search for it, and if that comes up empty I'd reccomend a search for Savannah Bed & Breakfast Historic District.

Hope that helps a little!
Come see us!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

thanks Steve. any idea of tempratures we might encounter at that time? is it super hot then already? this would be last week of april.
augie

Post by augie »

You're asking a Floridian if it will be super hot? 8)

End of April I would expect it to be pretty mild.

This is just a WAG, but unless there is a freak cold front or heat wave you're likely talking about lows in the high 50s or 60s and highs in the high 70s or low 80s. I'd check one of the tourist info sites - they probably have the averages (or maybe weather.com).

I bet it will be very nice there.

Leslie and I stayed at the Foley Inn the first night of our honeymoon, so it will always be scecial to us.
Come see us!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

it looks lovely! I'm going to pass it on to my friends. thanks!
augie

Post by augie »

Since I had time on my hands (and no life) I found the following average high and low temps for Savannah in April and May:

Apr 78°F 53°F
May 84°F 61°F
Come see us!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

thanks 8)
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Mary Beth,

If you're coming down south, why not side trip to New Orleans - then we can have an Abita together :wink:

nothintolose
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

how far from atlanta?
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

A niece of mine lives in Savannah, but you dont want to stay with her! I love the historic district. The horse-drawn carriage tour is really nice. They have ghost tours as well. Go down to Riverwalk for snacks and shopping. Last time I was there in April it was Warm. We wore shorts/shirt/sandals.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

We went to Savannah a few years ago and stayed at the Ballastone. A little pricey but very nice!

http://www.ballastone.com/

Also, DO NOT ... I repeat ... DO NOT ... miss lunch at Mrs. Wilkes. You will love it! http://www.mrswilkes.com/

Do not miss it. I would not mislead you!

And Beaufort is a cute side trip with cute shops and waterfront stuff.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

augie wrote:it's been a good while since I've been there, but the historic district is very nice, with a lot of parks and squares as well as a pretty cool dining/drinking area down by the river.

We stayed at an incredible B&B called Foley House, but I have no idea if it's even in existence anymore.

EDIT: it is - http://www.foleyinn.com/

Try to search for it, and if that comes up empty I'd reccomend a search for Savannah Bed & Breakfast Historic District.

Hope that helps a little!
Holy crap - Steve. Steph and I where just talking about going to the Savanah and i want to stay at the Foley Inn. You and i have a lot to talk about after the holidays.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"