67 fish

Travel discussion for St. John
Bob & Sharon

67 fish

Post by Bob & Sharon »

Dear St. John friends,

Just loaded a new set of pictures in the site www.doppstein.com/SJ07 with more coming soon. For now they are only fish, but will soon include people too. Last night we saw a spectacular Spotted Drum, but was too late in the day to get a good picture of him. Been hunting all day for him but he is hiding now. Found a second Octopus's garden at Gallows point so have a new place to watch for a "Walkabout". In the banner is the date of the update so you will know if the pics include new ones.

Today I was bitten by a VERY defensive little Threespot Damselfish presumably defending his egg mass (which I did not see). He attacked me fearlessly and with vigor although only three inches long! True courage. Glad I was wearing gloves, but even so I could feel the strength of his little jaw. I backed off, but took a picture just the same. Shameless human intruder!

Just gotta love St. John!
Bob & Sharon
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

HOLLEY MOLLEY,great fish ID! Bookmarked it for future reference.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Beautiful pictures! I think you've seen the biggest variety of fish I've ever seen on this forum! How do you manage to identify them all by name? I love the Blackbar Soldierfish... uh, with Shark! Looking forward to more! :D
Bob & Sharon

To answer some questions

Post by Bob & Sharon »

My primary reference book is "Reef Fish Identification" by Paul Humann and Ned Deloach" (a gift from Cheryl and David). I also sometimes google the fish name if I am unsure, and I then get lots of pictures to compare. The Slippery Dick is on page 223 of the book and is a common Wrasses. It is a curious name indeed!

Smiling,
Bob
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Great pictures Bob and Sharon. I especially liked the octopus - I've never been lucky to see one. I wasn't too happy to see that moon jelly at the end - where did you see that one?

Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Great pictures! I love it that you identified them. When we were in St. John I thought I saw a nurse shark but now that I have seen your pictures I know that I didn't.

My son saw a moon jellyfish at the caves--he told me about it because he thought it was a condom. I just showed him your picture and sure enough that is what he saw.

Did you see all of this at the Gallows??

Gina
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Bob, great job identifying the fish. It looks like you've helped me on now giving names to my fish pix.
You certainly did well in the great variety you saw.

Now if I only had some time in the next few weeks I'll update my photos. Update, LOL, I still have to post them.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

GINA wrote
My son saw a moon jellyfish at the caves--he told me about it because he thought it was a condom. I just showed him your picture and sure enough that is what he saw

Now thats some funny $hit I don't care who ya are! :D :D :D . That would have had to be a magnum condom wouldn't want to put it on might get a little suprise :shock: :shock: :shock:
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Great pictures! I love the fish.