Route 108 / Bordeaux Mtn. Rd. Question

Travel discussion for St. John
tjwgrr

Route 108 / Bordeaux Mtn. Rd. Question

Post by tjwgrr »

Staying off Route 108 / Bordeaux Mtn. Rd. overlooking Coral Bay in a couple weeks. Our first stay on that side of the island.

How is Route 108 / Bordeaux Mtn. Rd. if taken all the way back to Centerline? Is it paved all the way? Wondering if it would be a good "shortcut" coming from/to Cruz Bay rather than taking Centerline all the way into Coral Bay and then back up, or is it so slow-going that it wouldn't be worth it?... not that we're gonna be in any hurry.... 8)
Genral

Rte 108

Post by Genral »

Hey TJ - Yep, looks good on the map, huh? If you had one of those extreme 4 wheel drives with the custom tube frame and a half million dollar suspension, you could probably do it. Otherwise, sit back, enjoy the views and stay on the main road to Coral Bay. Enjoy! Genral
No matter where you go, there you are.
peterb

Post by peterb »

LOL I remember looking down that...whatever it is... from the top and wondering that it was ever a road.

I don't think I'd even want to walk down it. It looks loke a boulder strewn streambed.
Keep your lens clean and your mind open
Bart Wailes

Bordeaux Mt. Road-Route 108

Post by Bart Wailes »

tj,

I have not been there in a year but if you start up 108 from Island Blues your on a concrete road that will go to dirt about half way up the mountain. The dirt road lasts about 1/4 mile and then you hit a concrete switchback that gets you up to the 1,050 ft. elevation point. While the drive to this point is steep and slow it is doable as I have done it many times in a Susuki and a Jeep. Once above the concrete switchback the road goes back to dirt and is very steep. I have never tried to go further as I chicken out. Its a pity because once you drive another 100 yards your at the top of the mountain and the dirt road is pretty flat and you can easily drive to Centerline. They keep threatening to pave more on Bordeaux Mtn Road but nothing new the last two years. Soon Come.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Nuh-uh. Don't do it! What if you get stuck? The road is so bad you won't get there any faster anyway, even if you and your vehicle manage to make it all the way, which is not probable.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

Thanks all - yeah, it looks good on a map... :shock:
BillyD

Don't be a sissy

Post by BillyD »

Hey GRR,

You can make it, unless of course it is raining and the road more closely resembles a waterfall than a road. We walked from the top part of Bordeaux toward Coral Bay to the top part of the paved road - it didn't look too bad until it rained........

We're east of the GRR VOR too - south approach? Go Scots?
tjwgrr

Re: Don't be a sissy

Post by tjwgrr »

BillyD wrote:We're east of the GRR VOR too - south approach? Go Scots?
Yep! Go Scots! Caledonia schools/ Alto mailing address- we're off 100th east of Morse Lake....

Wow, small world!
8)