Favorite Christmas music

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jmq

Favorite Christmas music

Post by jmq »

I'm a sucker for interesting originals or fun interpretations of classic Xmas music.

Some of my fav albums include:
> We Three Kings by The Roches - 3 sisters who sing beautiful harmonies, interesting, some humorous arrangements
> John Fahey's solo acoustic guitar record called The New Possibility - stunning acoustic guitar, interesting arrangements
> Phil Spector album with the Motown girl groups like The Ronettes, The Crystals, etc.

Individual songs include 2000 Miles by The Pretenders; I Believe in Father Christmas by Emerson, Lake and Palmer; and Do They Know Its Christmas by "Band Aid" = one of the better "all star" benefit recordings. A little too much Boy George vocals, but great drums by Phil Collins and a rousing chorus.

What are your favs?
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

Great list, jmq. Here are a few of mine:

Christmas Wrapping – The Waitresses (saw them play this at Kean College)

Do They Know it’s Christmas – Band Aid (I have the 12” single somewhere, great video too)

Merry Christmas Baby – Bruce

A New York Christmas - Rob Thomas

2000 Miles - The Pretenders

Have Yourself a Merry Christmas – The Pretenders

You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch – Whirling Dervishes (from the great state of NJ)

All Alone On Christmas – Darlene Love

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – U2

The Chimpunks Song (Christmas Don’t Be Late) - The Chipmunks
Last edited by Jerseyboy on Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I don't think I have a list but I do love to catch Darlene Love on the Letterman show every year. I guess that won't be happening this year due to the strike :(
jmq

Post by jmq »

Hey JB - saw The Pretenders at the Capital Theatre in Passaic NJ back in the early 80s (anybody remember that dump that somehow booked ALL of the top acts of the day? The list is crazy http://www.moyssi.com/capitolshows.htm )
Chrissie Hynde is the best female vocalist I have ever heard perform live.
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

jmq wrote:Hey JB - saw The Pretenders at the Capital Theatre in Passaic NJ back in the early 80s (anybody remember that dump that somehow booked ALL of the top acts of the day? The list is crazy http://www.moyssi.com/capitolshows.htm )
Chrissie Hynde is the best female vocalist I have ever heard perform live.
Funny you mention Chrissie Hynde as I love her voice and The Pretenders. One of the best shows I ever saw was The Pretenders at Radio City in the mid-80's and guess who opened for them??

New Jersey's own Smithereens!! 8) Did you ever hear of these guys? :wink:
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I just pulled my box of Christmas music out of storage yesterday. One of my favorite Christmas albums is actually a compliation cd I bought at Pottery Barn a few years ago. It's called "Jazzy Christmas" and it just has a really relaxing vibe.

I also have a Diana Krall Christmas cd that I really like...it only has three or four songs but they are all good.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I can't say it's my favorite... yet, but I just downloaded Kenny Chesney's "All I Want For Christmas Is A Real Good Tan". It's a pretty good album and I really like the title song 8)
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

mbw1024 wrote:I don't think I have a list but I do love to catch Darlene Love on the Letterman show every year. I guess that won't be happening this year due to the strike :(
Damn, I forgot about the writers' strike as I look forward to that Darlene Love show every year. Don't forget Jay Thomas throwing the football at the meatball on top of the Christmas tree. There's still a chance.

Liamsaunt - Welcome back!
Last edited by Jerseyboy on Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

I second JB on Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses. Great one.

Here are some others that are a little less conventional, but that I like:

Last Christmas - Jimmy Eat World

Just Like Christmas - Low

Snow Day - Matt Pond PA

Holiday Road - Matt Pond PA

White Christmas - Jamie Randolph

All I Want For Christmas - My Chemical Romance (this one isn't as "mellow" and won't appeal to everyone :D )
jmq

Post by jmq »

VickiH wrote:All I Want For Christmas - My Chemical Romance (this one isn't as "mellow" and won't appeal to everyone :D )
Vicki - same could be said about "Father Christmas" by The Kinks with those cynical lyrics and real crunchy guitar by Dave Davies.

I'm intrigued enuff by your other choices that I will preview them for possible download. Thanks.
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Speaking of previewing, I get so tired of only being able to hear a snippet of a song. Sometimes, I want to hear the whole thing before I buy it. I have found a great resource for finding songs and listening to them on the web. It's main purpose is to create playlists for posting on websites, but what I have found is that it is excellent for finding most songs on the web and being able to listen to the entire thing:

www.projectplaylist.com

You can't find everything on there, but you sure can find a lot.
jmq

Post by jmq »

I'll check that out.

http://pandora.com/

is pretty cool too, even suggesting other songs and artists you may like based on your choice.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Don't forget...
John Lennon - Happy Christmas (War is Over)
Bob Rivers - Walkin' Round in Women's Underwear
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Jamestown

Post by Jamestown »

Gordon Lightfoot
Song for a Winter's Night

Just lovely