Price Goes Way Up at Dream Catcher

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

It is probably easy for owners to not “see” things that need to be maintained on a constant basis because they are either absent and relying on the management company, lack the money to put into the property on a regular basis (rising taxes, insurance, power, etc.) or just don’t think certain things are important – like the 2 x 4 base on the loveseat. (Was that California Girl’s summer villa rental? I remember someone posting pictures of a creative patch-job)
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Wow, I go off and do work for a few days and miss all the fun. And yes, I had to look twice to make sure which forum I was on.

I really wish that villa owner would tell us what villa it is that we don't want to rent.

Anytime I notice a huge spike in rental rates (and the one mentioned was about 30%) I want to know why. In this case for two reasons: One, I've shied away from Dream Catcher because I've read bad reviews about it here and on other VI travel boards (not all written by the same person) yet even at the new rate it seems like a deal. I'd go there if they've made significant improvements to warrant the increase in cost.

Secondly, as villa renters, we've all been sitting here speculating on cost increases for ALL the villas with the taxes and WAPA rates going up. When you see a 30% increase at one villa, you want to know why to know if that's something to expect across the board (God help us).

I very much value the opinions of folks here when looking at villas. There have been many that I never would've considered if they hadn't been recommended by other forumites. I also feel pressure when I've been to a villa and someone else is considering it to be honest with them. I consider the people here my friends, and I really don't want them to come back and call me out for not telling them about a leaky shower or a bed where the springs poked you in the back. I wouldn't dog any business on a public forum unless I had a really good reason, but I'd tell someone if my experience was sub-par, so they could take that information and do with it what they wish.

And I don't always take the advice of the folks here. Many people say Morgan's Mango is overrated for lobster night, and I went there anyhow and spent the best $100 that I'd ever paid for a meal. You just have to take the feedback and do with it what you may. When I'm picking a villa where I have to stay for a week, and it's mine and my friends thousands of dollars, I want honest feedback from others who have stayed there. At the minimum it shows us what to expect if we opt to take what appears to be a great deal.

We don't always have to play nice here, but if I ran a business I sure wouldn't run others up the flag pole, especially when those others were my consumers. The owner of my favorite restaurant here in Nashville once wrote a letter to the editor in response to mine calling me an "imbecile" and I've yet to go back to his establishment. I figure if I'm such an idiot, he doesn't want my patronage anyhow.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

PA Girl wrote:It is probably easy for owners to not “see” things that need to be maintained on a constant basis because they are either absent and relying on the management company, lack the money to put into the property on a regular basis (rising taxes, insurance, power, etc.) or just don’t think certain things are important – like the 2 x 4 base on the loveseat. (Was that California Girl’s summer villa rental? I remember someone posting pictures of a creative patch-job)
Yep! That was me! And I even had the privelege of paying an extra 5% to CV to be able to enjoy this lovely patio furniture - LOL! :lol:

Pia

Post by Pia »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (words fail me)

Pia
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I think that the "villa" I stayed at in August had the same furniture designer! :shock:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

That still makes me smile because that is so something my father would do (the repair job) and think it was totally fine. "What, I should spend for new when this works just fine?!?!"
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

California Girl: That picture is hilarious! I fix things all of the time but normally I am more subtle (or so I think).

I love duct tape! I can fix anything!!! And now it is even better because it comes in all colors!!!!

Gina
California Girl

Gina, some colored duct tape, creatively applied, could really improve the base of that loveseat! I mean, it wasn't such a bad fix job, but how about maybe a coat of paint? I think my favorite part is the big gnarly nails that are holding it together! :lol:
Last edited by California Girl on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

LOL. Maybe, just maybe, it was too low to the ground originally and this was a modification and not a repair. Thus the 5% enginering cost adjustment.
BOB
California Girl

bobcside wrote:LOL. Maybe, just maybe, it was too low to the ground originally and this was a modification and not a repair. Thus the 5% enginering cost adjustment.
Ha! Ha! Bob, I think you "nailed" it! :lol:
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I love how it leans even after they "fixed" it.

That is just not acceptable when you're spending thousands of dollars to stay somewhere. They wouldn't even make that kind of repair at the $29.99/night hotel!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Well, it certainly is umm...creative! :lol:

I have to say that I rely on everyone's feedback on places to stay when choosing a villa. I want to read positve and negative accounts. I want the truth and I want villa names! You can be assured that if I stayed in a subpar place I would definitely post about it in length, the same way I post long positive accounts of the nice houses we've rented. It's a service to others that read this forum.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
snorkelqueen

Dream Catcher

Post by snorkelqueen »

Thank God we've moved on from "Renter Bashing" to patio furniture repair....much more civil.
Snorkelqueen aka...
Villa Reviewer aka....
Bashed Renter :D
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Dare I wade in to the muck and the mire and give my opinion? :)

Villa reviews should be honest; if they’re not honest than there is no point to them.

Also, as far as villa owners “operating at a loss,” that’s the breaks of being fortunate enough to own a villa in one of the most beautiful locations in the world (I’ve been told that the fortunate villa owners break even).

If I were to ever buy a home in STJ, I would not see it as an investment opportunity. I would see it as an opportunity to vacation more often on my favorite island in the world. All of us “operate on a loss” when we go on vacation…we pay thousands of dollars to rent villas; if a villa owner loses a few thousand a year, I kind of equate that with the owner paying to stay at that villa for however many weeks of the year he/she/they choose…plus, if the owner decides to sell some day, the profit of the sale might make up for operating at a loss all of those years.

If owning a villa was a money-making option without any drawbacks then a lot more of us would own them.