MY Christmas screw up............WHAT was yours?????

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Jan&MikeVa

MY Christmas screw up............WHAT was yours?????

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

I cannot believe what I did. I am an expert cook, I LIVE to bake and entertain. It's my passion, I'm really very good at it (one of the few things I can brag about). :P

So here's the deal. I put powdered sugar in my turkey drippings instead of flower (no wonder it wouldn't get thick). :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: They were both in identical tupperware, I had been busy baking cookies, etc., etc. HORRIBLE! :evil:

We had a sit down dinner for 20 on Sunday (I did ALL the cooking). Christmas dinner was sit down for 12 (again I did ALL the cooking). Day after again, sit down for 12 at breakfast. But I ruined the Christmas gravy.............wah wah wah. I WILL NEVER LIVE THIS DOWN, my family is brutal (in a funny, loving way).

But just to save face with myself, here is what did turn out great (please let me brag just a bit) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sunday, my husband's family of 20:
Appetizers of fresh cheese, salami, fruit, cheeseball, bread, and crackers
Dinner of marinated, grilled salmon
Layered (non mayonaise) coleslaw
Mango/Pinneaple salsa
Tropical rice
FRESH homemade rolls
Store bought birthday cake for his Uncle
Kiss of the Jumbie coffee
NO alcohol for his family (don't ask) :wink:

Christmas Dinner for my family:
Same type of appetizers
Dinner of 2 turkeys, mashed potatoes, candied yams, green beans almondine, FRESH rolls, homemade stuffing, cranberry sauces of many types, fruit salad, fresh veggies, relish tray, and SWEET gravy. UGH; homemade pies of: pumpkin, pecan, and chocolate fudge, fresh whipped cream, and plenty of Kiss of the Jumbie coffee. EVERYONE BROUGHT DESERTS.

Day after breakfast: Hash brown casserole, sausage & egg casserole, bacon quiche, spicy sausage hash, fresh fruit, blueberry muffines, cranberry & orange muffins, fresh fruit bowl, mimosas, 3 pots of coffee............wow.....

Not to mention all the baking I did for Christmas gifts. SO, my firends I am exhaused, but will anyone remember the GOOD stuff...............OH NO!!! We'll all remmeber Jan's sweet gravy, I am so embarrased. :shock: :shock:

SO gang what did you screw up????? PLEASE SHARE WITH ME, I NEED TO KNOW!!! :P

Love ya guys, hope your Christmas was Merry!! We're going away for New Years, I'm banished from the kitchen!!!! :P :P

Jan

P.S. It really was a WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS, hope that yours was the same :roll: :roll:
I am truly blessed with wonderful families, both in-laws, and out-laws, and everything inbetween!!!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh my I'm exhausted! LOL
I didn't have a screw up this year but once I FORGOT to put sugar in the pumpkin pie. So imagine what THAT tasted like!

Happy New Year..... now try and relax :)
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

OK here goes. I invited my ex-husband (my son's father) over for Christmas Eve dinner since he didn't have any other plans. Tis the season to be jolly right? Better to give than to receive right?
So, after a nice dinner he hands MY son a big package to open. It's the Red Ryder Bee Bee GUN.
AHHHHHHHHH. :twisted:
Smoke appears, my head turns 360 degrees and pea soup lookin stuff is projectiling all over my nicely-decorated-for-Christmas living room.
Now I remember why I wanted full custody!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I left my camera battery and charger in a hotel 5
hours away so I won't have my camera for New Years! :?

I didn't cook enough to screw that up, or I am sure I would have.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

BLESS YOUR HEART, YOU ARE A GOOD MOM, EX-WIFE, ETC...............ENOUGH SAID.........OMG
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I would consider my screw up minor, but when it involves ones mother-in-law, it becomes a major fiasco.

I cooked what I thought was a perfectly done Prime Rib; m-i-l likes hers well; we like ours medium rare. When I took it out, the thermometer showed medium; the end cuts seemed perfectly well. Well, as it stood out, instead of cooking a little more, it got bloodier and bloodier. As Don sliced it, the inside was still raw. Easily fixed, put it back in the oven for another half hour. Well, sister-in-law was hungry and "you said dinner was at 3pm"! Ugh!!

As you say, did they notice the perfect popovers or the absolutely wonderful au jus or the delightful bottle of Merlot or the beautifully set table - no - just the delayed dinner.

Oh well -
janet
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

By some miracle no major screwups here but I share in your exhaustion. Did some major baking and cooking for the family. 2 gatherings over the weekend & another one coming up this Saturday.

Baking/Sweets - 7 layer cookies, chocolate chip cookies, Christmas Tree cookies with Frosting, pecan pie, pumpkin pie and fudge. WHEW.

Appetizers - Baked Brie wrapped in puff pastry with cinnamon cherry sauce served with apple slices and crackers, mini beef franks wrapped in blankets, veggies and fresh dip, cheese and crackers.

Mulled wine cider - YUM

Dinner - 22 lb turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, carmelized sweet potatoes, creamed peas, corn, rolls...

YUMMY but exhausting. This is why I really cook about 3-4 times a year. I mean ALL out cook. Jan your meal sounds awesome sweet gravy and all.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Everything that Chip and I cooked came out perfectly, if I my say so myself I had the Buffet table decorated with a place for all my menu items:
Orange Creme Brulee French Toast
Spinach Mushroom Egg Strata
Red skinned homefries
Tenderloin with horseradish sauce
Ham with Honey dijon sauce
Homemade cinnamon rolls
Maple and Brown sugar sausage
Fruit Salad

My SIL, who was told to bring NOTHING but cookies, shows up with grocery store sushi and Crab rangoon :?

I promptly had to rearrange the table setting and the oven to make room for the Rangoon, plus make wasabi and Chinese Mustard.

I know it sounds so silly, but those of you that entertain will totally understand my frustration.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

XIG, I totally understand. My sister's and I have gone to the "I will bring nothing to your house and you bring nothing to mine" rule on the holidays. Makes life simpler. And I don't help her clean up and she doesn't help me - it all works out!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I am slowly getting them there, one SIL is fine with it. She lets me do everything and I really like it that way, I guess I have to train the other. :wink:
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Ksea wrote:OK here goes. I invited my ex-husband (my son's father) over for Christmas Eve dinner since he didn't have any other plans. Tis the season to be jolly right? Better to give than to receive right?
So, after a nice dinner he hands MY son a big package to open. It's the Red Ryder Bee Bee GUN.
AHHHHHHHHH. :twisted:
Smoke appears, my head turns 360 degrees and pea soup lookin stuff is projectiling all over my nicely-decorated-for-Christmas living room.
Now I remember why I wanted full custody!
My first BB gun was one of my prized possessions. I don't hunt and I never killed little birds with it, or anything politically incorrect like that. But, I did like setting up tin cans and seeing if I could hit them. Of course, this was pre-video games (even before Pong), so I imagine most young boys are getting a somewhat similar thrill these days on their tv screens.

It was nice of you to invite the ex over, though.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

When I was a newly married 21 year old and living thousands of miles away from home, I volunteered to take Potatoes Au Gratin to a friend's for a sort of potluck dinner. I used the Betty Crocker boxed potatoes and it called for milk. Well, it was about an hour before we had to be there and I was out of milk....except for a can of milk in the pantry! I could used canned milk and it would be just fine, right? NOT! It was Eaglebrand sweetened condensed milk. I had never heard of sweetened milk and I don't even know why it was in my cupboard, but I used it! When we all sat down to dinner everyone got this real weird look on their face when they put a forkful of potatoes in their mouth, but they didn't know if they should say anything or not so they all just looked at each other... and me. Then when I took a bite I was mortified! The potatoes tasted really awful! Needless to say, my friends explained sweetened condensed milk to me that night! And to this day, every so often the story of the sweetened milk in the potatoes comes back to haunt me! :oops:

Jan, I feel your pain! :lol:
cat

Post by cat »

We all bring something to my parent's for Thanksgiving dinner. One year I was to bring the Mirliton Dressing. I live 2 1/2 hours away and realized too late that I had left home with it still in my freezer! It is not an easy task to make and I was so frustrated that I had spent so much time, effort and expense making it (it is full of nice sized shrimp) that I wanted to cry. My family was frustrated that they wouldn't get any but boy was I glad that I had it later! It was really good at Christmas!
LMG

Post by LMG »

Once, when I was about 10 or 11, I was baking cookies for Christmas and despite my mother's concern I wanted to do it ON MY OWN! Well, they were peanut butter cookies calling for 1/4 teaspoon of salt and in my 6th-grade genius, I added 1/4 CUP.

Yeah, that brought a whole new meaning to the term "mouth watering."

No tragedies this year, but I only cooked part of the meal. Who knows what could have happened had I been responsible for the entire thing.
KPlumm

Post by KPlumm »

This Christmas I had a scare, but it all turned out well. I had an hour of cooking time left to go. I had a 24 pound stuffed turkey in the oven, balsamic glazed carrots that had only been roasting for a short while and potatoes in the slow cooker waiting to be mashed, when the power went out. :shock: Just like on the island! After almost an hour I started thinking about how I could possibly get all of this and more cooked on our barbeque, which was covered in snow on the back deck, or if we should just go find a restaurant that still had power. Well I decided 24 pounds of turkey would be more leftovers than I wanted to deal with, so my husband and sons carried the barbeque through the howling winds to our garage and got it going in candlelight. It was freezing! Back in the kitchen, I checked the turkey and saw that the internal temperature was where it was supposed to be. :) I checked the potatoes and found that they were tender, so I added the fixings and mashed them right in the slow cooker (a new way of doing mashed potatoes for me, but a keeper). The carrots got wrapped in foil and thrown on the barbeque. For a simple vegetable I threw some corn in a pot to be heated and decided to brave the cold myself to make gravy on the barbeque. I removed the stuffing from the bird and found it to be very wet. I was thinking about how to remedy that while I was draining the drippings from the turkey pan and the power came back on! HURRAY! :D I spread the stuffing out on a pan and put it back in the oven. The bird was moist and all was well. My husband and boys were actually disappointed as they were having fun cooking in the garage by candlelight. That was close call in my mind, but a Christmas dinner we won’t forget.

Thanks for the gravy story. It made my day! I know what you mean about making one mistake and everyone remembering only that – but that’s what family is for!