Skinny Legs get together to honor "Howie"

Travel discussion for St. John
Bill in Va

Skinny Legs get together to honor "Howie"

Post by Bill in Va »

Hey there troops. Would all who are going to be on island like to assemble at Skinnys on Tuesday Nov 28th for lunch to ring the bell for Howie? Many knew our fourm buddy by his kind and sweet spirit. Some even got to meet him. If this is not a good day please post when you could make it. I'll be down from Nov 25th to Dec 9th. God bless....Bill
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

We'll be on island from Dec 2 to 9. if the get together is between the 3rd and 8th we could probably make it.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I'll be there :D
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I'll be there in spirit! Please take lots of pictures! I'd love to see all your smiling faces! :D
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Bill............there you are!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

11/28 is good for us. ANY day 11/27-12/2 is good or lunch on 12/3. Jazz at the Beach Bar is 12/3 late afternoon.

Pia I am looking forward to meeting you!

Jan (aka Charlie)
Toes in the sand: 29 days
Patty

Post by Patty »

I wish I could be there but I'll be bere in Virginia. I rang Howie's bell when I was there in July. I wondered how many people there knew what I was doing. It was a special moment for me, none the less.
Bill in Va

Skinnys deal for "Howie"

Post by Bill in Va »

For those who want to see the dedication I have it in my webshots. You will also see a pic of Ronnie and Anthony! Yes THE Anthony. Who I might add was very generous at this dedication. Folks we are family and it is special...you will have to go through a few pics to see the ones but hey its pics of St John. It is in the 2004 folder. Yes its been 2 years since we dedicated the bell...Cindy we will be thinking of you girl as we ring the bell...Cindy is Howie's wife by the way...Pia, Eric thanks for checking in. Email me and I'll give my cell number. We will be in Don Schnell's villas. Eric on St John can get me if you have trouble getting me.... go to http://community.webshots.com/user/billsandieking
God bless....Bill
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Thanks for posting the link to your pictures. Every time I'm at Skinny's I wonder where the bell is. Now that I know where I'll definitely ring it when I go back in Dec. I remember everyone commenting about Howie and what a wonderful person he was. Is there a particular reason Skinny's was chosen? I got on to this forum later and never knew the story. Could you fill us in, please?
Bill in Va

"Howie"

Post by Bill in Va »

This is a great question and I hope I will fill some of the answers in. There are a bunch of folks who I hope will add to the story. Derek, who composed the words on the plaque, and gave us the word on Howie's passing....Jan and Mike...Art,JSS3,Fla George,W2Old and Sandy and her husband who made the plaques..one went to Cindy Howie's wife. Basically the whole forum! Howie was a daily poster who loved SJ. He liked to go to Skinny's...When you read the words on the plaque you will get his message to us. After he passed we went back and forth on how we would honor him. You can go back in the arcives. I emailed Ronnie Lockhart yes our Ronnie and asked him to see if he would ask the owners of Skinny Leggs if we could put up the plaque. They agreeed. Jan aka Charlie and Mike her husband brought the plaque down in Dec 2004. A bunch of fourmites met that day to honor our friend. Jan had Cindy on the phone as we dedicated and rang the bell for the first time...He always signed off with..Peace..Howie......He may be gone but he is not forgotten......God bless....Bill
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I didn't know Howie well - just exchanged a couple of emails right before he passed but I can tell you that he was ALWAYS positive.

I don't think he ever had a negative thing to say. He had such a great attitude and was always warm and friendly to everyone on the forum. He always thanked everyone for their trip reports. Just seemed like an all around good guy that you'd want to be your friend.

If I remember correctly, he was a big fan of Coral Bay in general...liked that more laid back attitude :)

I am grateful to have been around here when he was around.

nothintolose
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Howie was such a positive force on this forum and was extra helpful to Mike & I when planning our 1st trip to STJ in May 04. He & his wife Cindy (Sunshine) liked Coral Bay and Skinny Legs was Howie's favorite hang out. Check back in the archives of 2003 and 2004, his posts are always upbeat and warm.

Howie & Cindy lived in Mass. and while in the Northeast Fall of 2004 we spent a day with them in Mystic Ct. We began our morning as newly met fellow forumites and parted that evening as good friends. Howie was as laid back and genuine as all of you have pictured him. They were planning a trip to Va in January 05 (Cindy ended up coming alone) to meet up with other forumites Derek & Barb in Richmond.

Three weeks after we met them Howie died on October 14th of a massive heart attack. He was a musician and Derek posted a link to a beautfiul song "When Angles Rock us to Sleep", something Howie had co-written. It gave all of us on the forum some peace about losing our buddie. Then a memorial came about and in Nov 04 fellow forumites decided on a plaque, and the rest is history. I know that Howie & Cindy met other forumites while on Island and up in New England I believe. He made a lot of friends on this forum, we were glad we got to meet him.

I am going to get CalifGirl to help me post a couple of pictures of Howie and see if I can't get Derek to post the link to the song. It is such a beautiful song, every time I listen to it I still cry.

So 2 years ago Mike & I were part of the celebration at Skinny's. We are looking forward to seeing Bill & Sandie there this December (and any other fellow forumites) and toasting our bud Howie.

As Howie always signed off.................peace

Jan (akaCharlie)
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Thank you for all the information about Howie. He seems like a wonderful person to have known. His love for the islands and Skinnys is dear to me. I love them both. Sorry I will miss your get together by just a few days. But when I am there I will ring the bell in honor of Howie and all the wonderful people on this forum.
Bill in Va

Forum get together

Post by Bill in Va »

Hey there. I see a bunch will be arriving after the end of Nov. I'll be on island till Dec 9. Let me know if you would like another time after our first one...God bless...Bill
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Wish I could make the gathering but we're not due down there until April...so I'll share a few thoughts.

I remember coming back from St John two days after Howie died and feeling so sad when I read he'd died on this forum. I cried and felt that his passing was a terrible loss for his online friends. I sent a card to Cindy (Sunshine)at that time and I've actually got to know her a bit now. We got together when she came up to Maine to visit relatives this past Feb and she is just as real as he was. We took a couple of pics, but I'm numb when it comes to computer things so I have no clue how to post them...

To those that didn't know Howie, he was an easygoing, hardworking kind of a guy who always seemed to bring out the good in people. He was the guy on the forum that never left anybody out. You never felt this was a big clique where sometimes your welcome, sometimes your not...he liked everybody, everybody liked him and he was a NICE guy. His passing was completely unexpected and when he left, he left a big hole in his family, they are still devastated. He had lots of good years left and was major wage earner so life has changed a lot for Cindy. One thing it's taught me is that life is short, so live it, savor the moment because you may never get the opportunity to do so again. Howie didn't, but I'm hoping Cindy gets the opportunity to ring Howies bell at Skinnys some day in the future!
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
FlaGeorge

Howie's Song

Post by FlaGeorge »

I got introduced to Howie when I posted my trip report from our honeymoon 3 years a go. Everyone on this forum was so helpful in planning our honeymoon on STT and Howie was a very integral part of our planning. After each trip report installment – it was so nice to read all the replies. I have long a go printed my original trip report and all the replies – including Howie’s. I sometimes pull that old report out and read it with all the replies.

I was a forum newbie at the time – and like others have said, Howie made you feel special. When there is a ruckus on this forum – I often think how Howie would respond. I know for sure – it would be kind and caring. I miss him.

If anyone would like a copy of the song “When Angels Rock Us to Sleep” by Howie – please PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"