To the Bongo guys

Travel discussion for St. John
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

To the Bongo guys

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I read your blog every day and have followed your story from the get-go. The wedding that took place without your knowledge is a bit over the top. As we have seen before here (on this forum), villa owners get a little miffed at people abusing their homes and this, unfortunatley, seems to be your first experience with that. Ugh. Yuck.

In the blog, you suggested that you wanted comments. Where may I post and/or comment? This forum might not be the right place to do this but I didn't know where else to reach you. On the other hand, it seems appropriate to bring up the issue here for all to see and read your experience. A little bit more information, a little bit more perspective from an owner, might go a long way on a forum like this. Or, we can only hope that it does.

Be well.

Marcia (Mrs. Pete)
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I am curious about this, too. You obviously love the home you have built, and feel it to be totally "yours," yet to have to share it with people who assume some kind of obnoxious, "I am the owner if only for 1 week" attitude must be terrible to deal with.
Heather

Post by Heather »

I was married at a villa in St. John. It was just 4 people and Anne-Marie. We then went for a sail and a dinner in town. It was a very small ceremony. Very quiet and very meaningful. We had our daughter baptised at this same villa a couple of years later. That villa is a part of our history and in our memories forever. And we cleared it with the agency we rented from first for both, even though it was low key. I hope these people have the same memories of Bongo Bongo, and that the owners clarify the rules with their management company. A lesson learned, but once clarified could work well for both guests and owners.
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

I really liked the way the guys handled things in their blog. They seemed to differentiate between a small ceremony (say, two couples renting the villa, one couple getting married, the other couple as witnesses, the minister as the only "guest") and a wedding with many service providers, guests, a reception, music/dancing, etc. As a long-time villa renter, though, I do believe that inviting any additional guest(s) should be cleared with the management company and I believe that once cleared, the behavior of those guests is the responsibility of the renter. We always feel like guests in someone else's home - not like we are villa owners for the week or so. I really don't understand the mindset that thinks it's perfectly fine to leave a mess or take a few souvenirs.

- Margy
RickG

Post by RickG »

Interestingly, ViVa is the only group that I've seen explicitly forbidding any kind of parties at villas on STJ in their contracts. There seems to be a bit of "don't ask don't tell" going on. Some villas make a point in their listings to mention that they are particularly good for weddings and events.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I don't understand what the big deal is about having a wedding at a villa without asking the owners first. If you rent the villa and don't do any damage then what's the big deal?
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I think it is not so much the wedding as it is the reception.
There are things that wear on a house when you have large parties; huge water usage, septic issues, more chances for things to get broken, etc.

When I was a villa manager we did not allow weddings for that very reason. If someone wanted to have a 4- 6 person ceremony, I wouldn't see a problem. A ceremony/reception for 50 is completely different.
jac w

Bongo Bongo & Cruz Bay Pumpkin Seeds

Post by jac w »

I also read your blog every day (ok - every weekday - I spend all day on the computer at work and come the weekend I avoid it at all cost). I agree with differentiating between a very small wedding and something with guests. But I must admit that the thought of insurance, etc... never entered my mind the last time we were on island and my uncle, who had rented a small villa invited all of us (14) over for cocktails. It would probably be best to have the villa people include "no parties" in the villa info.

A change of subject - I just read your Oct. 28th, Cruz Bay Pumpkin Seed recipe!! http://www.bongobongostjohn.com/blog6/

Bill and I were undecided in carving our pumpkin this year - now we're going to have to and I'll be sure to include the recipe with the Cruz Bay Rub I put in the kids stockings. After last May's trip they are now hooked on the rub and kiss of the jumbie coffee.