Jost Van Dyke gets the NY Times treatment...

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

Jost Van Dyke gets the NY Times treatment...

Post by Anthony »

I will state my bias first - I just can't stand reportage by people who don't know what they are talking about. Yes, I guess it is cool that <a href="http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/t ... rint">this article</a> is in a well known and read newspaper - but why it is basically just some guys impression of the island and seems to have no real research behind it is beyond me. The passage that really steamed my bean was this:

"We ordered painkillers (rum, piña colada mix, orange juice; $4 each)"

All the purists here know that that is not a painkiller recipe, but the NY Times just told millions of people it was... whatever.

End of rant! The article is <a href="http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/t ... t">here</a>.
Last edited by Anthony on Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

That is not an article written by a Caribbean lover and to be honest that is fine with me. If I were to write a travel article about Jost, I would fear that it would be over run by tourists.
The trip that he took would have been a trip from heaven with peace and quiet and friendly people if it had been me.
Last edited by Xislandgirl on Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

Yes, the good thing about it is that it doesn't make Jost seem as inviting as it is.

Also, I think these "Frugal Traveler" articles are clear about the fact that they're just one person's experience..
promoguy

Most Of What The NY Times......

Post by promoguy »

writes about is crap. Obviously now, travel included.
mia

Re: Most Of What The NY Times......

Post by mia »

promoguy wrote:writes about is crap. Obviously now, travel included.
Amen :!:
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
RickG

Contrary opinion

Post by RickG »

At the risk of providing a different opinion, I thought that the NYT article captured some of the experience of being on JVD in the off season on a land-based vacation. The biggest problem I had with the article was the apparent lack of research by the writer. In the BVI out islands you always need to call ahead for dinner. Usually you have to order ahead as well. Judging by the pictures, the Soggy Dollar/Sand Castle had some day trippers. The Soggy Dollar is a nice place at night. My avatar is from a picture taken there!

In the hurricane season most everything is closed. The only tourists on the island are usually staying at the Sandcastle, which has about 8 rooms. Maybe some honeymooners up at White Bay Villas. I'm surprised Ali Baba's and Stanley's were open.

Now, I hope no one uses this article as a guide to a land-based trip to JVD. The walking they describe is pretty hard core. I bet they got picked up by locals. It's hard to go for a walk without getting an offer of a ride.

Ivan's is a pretty good camp site, on the order of Cinnamon Bay. The tent cabins are actually nicer than Cinnamon Bay. I'm surprised Tal was not at Ivan's, we usually see him there playing Lynyrd Skynyrd and Pink Floyd in the bar.

We stayed at Gertrude's Bungalow on White Bay in October 2004 for $90 per night. Her son Gregory has some condo-like units on the hill behind White Bay called the Perfect Pineapple that are nice. For St. John-like villa vacations, the White Bay Villas are on the point near Ivan's and the Pink House is on the beach. It's secluded, though. When you stay at White Bay Villas they meet you at Red Hook and give you an ice chest with provisions.

JVD during hurrican season is certainly quiet. That's fine with me. You get to know the folks at the places that are open on a first name basis. And, no waiting on that painkiller!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
NoWorriesMom

Hey RickG

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Let me know when your travel book is published cause I'm buying one! :wink:
17 more days for us... can barely stand the wait!!
RickG

Re: Hey RickG

Post by RickG »

NoWorriesMom wrote:Let me know when your travel book is published cause I'm buying one! :wink:
17 more days for us... can barely stand the wait!!
Just for my friends... we can write a chapter on Francis Bay together in three weeks!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI