Vail Colorado

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
DCphoto

Vail Colorado

Post by DCphoto »

Mel surprised me yesterday and told me we are going to Vail for a ski trip in April. He needs to go for his business. Has anyone been and how difficult is the skiing. I've only been skiing in Va and PA. Our mountains are nothing compared to out west. A little intimidated by it. I'm at best a beginner to intermediate.

Sandy
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

HI,

Don't be intimidated, Vail is an excellent location for beginners.

After skiing in the Northeast (downhill skating was more like it), we made our first trip to Vail about 15 years ago. Mind you, I wasn't a ski enthusiast, just did it to pass the winter by. I loved skiing Vail (and many other places in the western Rockies). There is a good amount of green/light blues from the top of the mountain (take the Gondola to the top). And of course, the Views are to die for.

I don't recall any restaurants, but I do remember Apres ski at Garfinkels; great place, nice outside deck - I think it is close to the Gondola station (base).

Have a blast!
janet
Chet

Post by Chet »

Just remember to pace yourself in the high altitude. I'm headed to a 10th Mountain Hut near Leadville in 2 weeks, backcountry skiing at 11,500'.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

It is no harder then skiing out east you just have to deal with the altitude I also is drier so drink alot of water.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Vail is great - I went about 6 years ago for my first Colorado experience after only skiing here in Wisconsin two or three times. I found lots of good greens and a few not too hard blue runs. It was a great place to learn and the Apres Ski is definitely fun.

We went back a few years ago after a big snowfall and it was a bit more difficult with several inches of fresh powder - very beautiful but tough on the leg muscles!

Have fun!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ditto on the water and pacing yourself. Also - remember sun screen!!!

I like Vail and find a great place to ski. If you are meeting folks for lunch make certain you know how to get there. It can take an hour to get from one side to another.

I'm a fan of the Northwoods section. It has some varied terrain and gets groomed and has its own 1600' high speed quad.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
LC

Post by LC »

You're gonna have a great time! My husband lived and ski-bummed in Vail for a few years, and we get out there when we can. The biggest shock for me (vs east coast) was the sheer size of the mountain...Vail's motto used to be "there's no comparison". Get a good map and use the guides at the lifts, and explore some beautiful terrain. You can ski for days and not do the same trails twice...and you can certainly find areas that fit your abilities.

As for apres ski, I second the Garfinkel's nod. Great (and huge!) beers. There's another place we go to that has a great performer - Phil Long - but the name of the place I'm not so sure about...maybe it's the Red Lion?

Have a great time, let us know how it goes! :D
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I need my eyes checked! Thought this said VILLA Colorado and I thought "why is this off topic???" :oops:
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Thank you all very much, I feel better about it. I'm not that great at skiing but I am trying to learn. Just bought new boots last night. I go to a little resort here in Va called Bryce. It has only 8 runs. It would be called a Hill compared to Colorado. I'm really looking forward to this, never been before.

Sandy
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

You'll love it. As a fellow "east coast" skier, you'll be amazed at how much easier skiing is out west, even when the slopes are harder. It doesn't make sense now, but you'll know what I mean once you get out there. Vail has some great skiing and a great village. Have fun!
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Thanks Vicki,

Should be interesting. I'm going to practice some more this weekend if it gets a little colder. I here it is much drier, so there won't be as much ice. Mel said if I can ski here it should not be a problem. I think I was just scared of the size of the mountains. Really looking forward to seeing your photographs with your new camera equipment!

Sandy
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

The times we skiied Vail the conditions were great - hardly any ice and a lot of packed snow. I got a bit cocky and started skiing the Blues.

The biggest adjustment is just the size of the place and the number of lifts. Coming from small eastern areas, it's pretty mind boggling at first; but, you'll be fine as long as you keep a map at hand. I found Vail rather easy to navigate as long as you pay attention. I loved the fact that I could go to the top and take a leisurely green ski down.

As someone mentioned, don't forget the sunscreen. In April, you'll come back as tan (at least neck up) as if you were on island.

You'll get some great photos out there.
janet
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

While Steamboat has always been my favorite ski mountain, Vail has my favorite run - Riva Ridge. It's blue with a few steep spots, but remember Colorado snow even in April is likely to be much more forgiving than what you are used to. Here is the Vail Daily's take on Riva Ridge:

Riva Ridge is the longest run on Vail Mountain, and when you’re talking about the largest ski resort in North America, that’s pretty long — four miles from top to bottom. It’s an ideal route to end your day if you’re returning from the Back Bowls and heading back to the village. It’s wide, it’s steep in places, and the snow stays good. If you want to keep it mellow, skip Tourist Trap face by taking the Compromise catwalk at skier’s right. Riva Ridge is groomed frequently, and if it’s on the daily grooming report, it’s worthy of a first run of the day.

Have fun!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Hi Sandy---Just noticed your post. I spent 9 days in Vail earlier this month. I am not a good skier. There are plenty of green runs and easy blue runs---and quite a few inexperienced skiers. And April is a great time to go---should be warm. It was FREEZING when we were there over New Years. Too many good restaurants to mention quickly, but if you want some ideas, let me know---I spend a lot of time thinking about where I'm going to eat! You'll have a great time---its really beautiful.
---Jim