villa review

Travel discussion for St. John
ihochman

villa review

Post by ihochman »

We've book Gull Cottage thru Caribbean Villas and
was wondering if anyone had stayed there and what they
thought. We loved the idea that it was on the water (although we know there is no beach) and not too far from Cruz Bay. Also, I've only book thru Catered To in the past...any feelings about Caribbean Villa people?
Thanks ahead of time for your help. I know I've written about this before but now it's booked so I'm really curious.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I also booked our villa thru Caribbean Villas and I think they are really nice and easy to deal with. I had a lot of questions and whether through e-mail or on the phone, they've always been prompt in responding!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I've never had any problem with Caribbean Villas everthing has been smooth sailing once we had a blender go out during a happy hour called them they had a new one to us in 30 min. Weve stayed at Cygnus and Allesandra thru them
RickG

Post by RickG »

I've used Caribbean Villas 5 or more times since 1997 and have never had a problem. They are honest with their assessments of the villas and have steered me away from some of their listings in the past that "needed to be freshened up." Then again, I've never had a problem with any villa or car rental agency on St. John.

R
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Oxford

Gull Cottage

Post by Oxford »

We stayed at Gull Cottage a few years back. We always love getting to stay in St. John for a couple of weeks, but we would not stay at Gull Cottage again.

It was the heat. Back when we stayed, there was only A/C in one of the spare bedrooms (twins). Since you are right down on the water you get NO breeze. The house was a sauna. Also, being right on the water was not what we thought it would be. The ocean water at the house is not clear like at one of the north shore beaches. It's not a place you'd like to snorkel and the rocks etc. make it difficult to get to. The view also suffered due to the low location of the house.

The construction of the house was beautiful...the stonework, hardwood floors...decks...windows and all were excellent. We had breakfast at the table outside every morning...mostly because the inside was very hot.

OK, I just read the Gull Cottage listing and see that it now has A/C in all bedrooms. That's great, but the main house might still be a sauna. Also, the pool pic is misleading. The pic makes it look bigger than it is.

The location was good for walking to the Westin. You could hear the steel drum music coming from the outdoor restaurant at the Westin so we just walked down the beach had an excellent dinner...then walked home.

We have been renting villas on St. John for 14 years, we don't consider ourselves experts, but we're not rookies either. Our favorite houses have always been higher up with a view of the ocean, preferably south or southwest views. A villa higher up does present a more challenging drive home...but you get the breezes, views, and unforgettable sunsets.

Oxford